Assessment of quality of life in adult patients with GH deficiency: KIMS contribution to clinical practice and pharmacoeconomic evaluations.
AffiliationKIMS Medical Outcomes, Pfizer Health AB, Endocrine Care, Sollentuna, Sweden. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractQuality of life (QoL) has emerged as an important construct that has found numerous applications across healthcare-related fields, ranging from research and clinical evaluation of treatment effects to pharmacoeconomic evaluations and global healthcare policy. Impairment of QoL is one of the key clinical characteristics in adult GHD and has been extensively studied in the Pfizer International Metabolic Database (KIMS). We provide summarized evidence on GH treatment effects for both clinical and health economic applications based on the KIMS data. The primary focus is on those aspects of QoL research that cannot be investigated in the traditional clinical trial setting, such as specific patient subgroups, cross-country comparisons and long-term follow-up. First, the impact of age, gender, disease onset, primary aetiology, extent of hypopituitarism, previous radiotherapy and obesity on QoL before and during long-term GH replacement is discussed. Secondly, the studies on QoL in relation to country-specific normative values are reviewed. Finally, health economic data derived from KIMS including both burden of disease and utility assessment are evaluated. We conclude that the wide spectrum of analyses performed on the KIMS data allows for practical application of the results not only to research and clinical practice but also to health policy and global medical decision making.
CitationAssessment of quality of life in adult patients with GH deficiency: KIMS contribution to clinical practice and pharmacoeconomic evaluations. 2009, 161 Suppl 1:S51-64 Eur. J. Endocrinol.
JournalEuropean Journal of Endocrinology
- Isolated growth hormone (GH) deficiency in adult patients: baseline clinical characteristics and responses to GH replacement in comparison with hypopituitary patients. A sub-analysis of the KIMS database.
- Authors: Abs R, Mattsson AF, Bengtsson BA, Feldt-Rasmussen U, Góth MI, Koltowska-Häggström M, Monson JP, Verhelst J, Wilton P, KIMS Study Group.
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Health-related quality of life and IGF-1 in GH-deficient adult patients on GH replacement therapy: analysis of the German KIMS data and the Study of Health in Pomerania.
- Authors: Moock J, Albrecht C, Friedrich N, Völzke H, Nauck M, Koltowska-Haggström M, Kohlmann T, Wallaschofski H
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- GH deficiency after traumatic brain injury: improvement in quality of life with GH therapy: analysis of the KIMS database.
- Authors: Gardner CJ, Mattsson AF, Daousi C, Korbonits M, Koltowska-Haggstrom M, Cuthbertson DJ
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Does long-term GH replacement therapy in hypopituitary adults with GH deficiency normalise quality of life?
- Authors: Koltowska-Häggström M, Mattsson AF, Monson JP, Kind P, Badia X, Casanueva FF, Busschbach J, Koppeschaar HP, Johannsson G
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Serum insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I), IGF-binding proteins 2 and 3, and the risk for development of malignancies in adults with growth hormone (GH) deficiency treated with GH: data from KIMS (Pfizer International Metabolic Database).
- Authors: Popovic V, Mattsson AF, Gaillard RC, Wilton P, Koltowska-Häggström M, Ranke MB
- Issue date: 2010 Sep