Cloning, expression, and physical mapping of the 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase gene cluster (HSD3BP1-HSD3BP5) in human.
AuthorsMcBride, Martin W
McVie, Alison J
Burridge, Sandra M
Wallace, A Michael
Wilson, Richard H
Sutcliffe, Roger G
AffiliationInstitute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Glasgow University, Glasgow, G12 8QQ, Scotland.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSeven members of the human 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3beta-HSD) gene family (HGMW-approved symbols HSD3BP1-HSD3BP5) have been cloned and physically mapped. HSD3B1 and 2 express 3beta-HSD enzymes; HSD3Bpsi1-5 are unprocessed pseudogenes that are closely related to HSD3B1 and 2 but contain no corresponding open reading frames. mRNA is expressed from psi4 and psi5 in several tissues, but with altered splice sites that disrupt reading frames. A 0.5-Mb contig of 3 yeast artificial chromosome and 32 bacterial artificial chromosome genomic clones contained no additional members of the gene family. The seven genes and pseudogenes mapped within 230 kb in the order HSD3Bpsi5-psi4-psi3-HSD3B1-psi1-psi2 -HSD3B2. HSD3B1 and 2 are in direct repeat, 100 kb apart. Six HSD3B2 mutations involve substitutions that are present in several of the pseudogenes. In four cases, mutations arose in CpG sites that are conserved within the gene cluster. The tendency for CpG sites to mutate by transition provides an adequate explanation for these HSD3B2 mutations, which are unlikely to be due to recombination or conversion within the gene family.
CitationCloning, expression, and physical mapping of the 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase gene cluster (HSD3BP1-HSD3BP5) in human. 1999, 61 (3):277-84 Genomics
- New members of the 3 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase gene family.
- Authors: McBride MW, Russell AJ, Vass K, Forster V, Burridge SM, Morrison N, Boyd E, Ponder BA, Sutcliffe RG
- Issue date: 1995 Apr
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/Delta(5)-Delta(4) isomerase deficiency.
- Authors: Simard J, Moisan AM, Morel Y
- Issue date: 2002 Aug
- Genomic structure of rat 3alpha-hydroxysteroid/dihydrodiol dehydrogenase (3alpha-HSD/DD, AKR1C9).
- Authors: Lin HK, Hung CF, Moore M, Penning TM
- Issue date: 1999 Nov
- Physical map of a 1.5 mb region on 12p11.2 harbouring a synpolydactyly associated chromosomal breakpoint.
- Authors: Debeer P, Schoenmakers EF, Thoelen R, Holvoet M, Kuittinen T, Fabry G, Fryns JP, Goodman FR, Van de Ven WJ
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- Physical linkage of the murine Hox-b cluster and nerve growth factor receptor on yeast artificial chromosomes.
- Authors: Bentley KL, Bradshaw MS, Ruddle FH
- Issue date: 1993 Oct