Regulation of CDK4 activity by a novel CDK4-binding protein, p34(SEI-1).
Hampson, Ian N
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital National Health Service Trust, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe p16(INK4a) tumor suppressor inhibits cyclin-dependent kinases (CDK4 and CDK6). Here we report the isolation of a novel gene, SEI-1, whose product (p34(SEI-1)) appears to antagonize the function of p16(INK4a). Addition of p34(SEI-1) to cyclin D1-CDK4 renders the complex resistant to inhibition by p16(INK4a). Expression of SEI-1 is rapidly induced on addition of serum to quiescent fibroblasts, and ectopic expression of p34(SEI-1) enables fibroblasts to proliferate even in low serum concentrations. p34(SEI-1) seems to act as a growth factor sensor and may facilitate the formation and activation of cyclin D-CDK complexes in the face of inhibitory levels of INK4 proteins.
CitationRegulation of CDK4 activity by a novel CDK4-binding protein, p34(SEI-1). 1999, 13 (22):3027-33 Genes Dev.
JournalGenes & Development
- The nuclear protein p34SEI-1 regulates the kinase activity of cyclin-dependent kinase 4 in a concentration-dependent manner.
- Authors: Li J, Melvin WS, Tsai MD, Muscarella P
- Issue date: 2004 Apr 13
- Activation of cyclin D1-kinase in murine fibroblasts lacking both p21(Cip1) and p27(Kip1).
- Authors: Sugimoto M, Martin N, Wilks DP, Tamai K, Huot TJ, Pantoja C, Okumura K, Serrano M, Hara E
- Issue date: 2002 Nov 21
- Dissection of CDK4-binding and transactivation activities of p34(SEI-1) and comparison between functions of p34(SEI-1) and p16(INK4A).
- Authors: Li J, Muscarella P, Joo SH, Knobloch TJ, Melvin WS, Weghorst CM, Tsai MD
- Issue date: 2005 Oct 11
- Multifaceted regulation of cell cycle progression by estrogen: regulation of Cdk inhibitors and Cdc25A independent of cyclin D1-Cdk4 function.
- Authors: Foster JS, Henley DC, Bukovsky A, Seth P, Wimalasena J
- Issue date: 2001 Feb
- Induced expression of p16(INK4a) inhibits both CDK4- and CDK2-associated kinase activity by reassortment of cyclin-CDK-inhibitor complexes.
- Authors: McConnell BB, Gregory FJ, Stott FJ, Hara E, Peters G
- Issue date: 1999 Mar