alpha4beta1 integrin-mediated adhesion of CD34+ cells from patients with chronic myeloid leukaemia: influence of IL-3.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInteractions between integrins on haemopoietic progenitor cells and their stromal ligands have an important role in the control of haemopoiesis. Growth factors can modulate these interactions (so-called 'inside-out' signalling) resulting in changes in ligand binding activity. We have studied alpha4beta1 integrin-mediated adhesion to the H120 fragment of fibronectin (which contains the strongest alpha4beta1 binding site) in CD34+ cells from patients with chronic myeloid leukaemia (CML) and have determined the effect of IL-3 on the level of adhesion. Compared to normal CD34+ cells isolated from cord blood and peripheral blood progenitor harvests (mean of 61.4 +/- 14.9% of cells attached) the CML CD34+ cells showed reduced levels of adhesion (mean of 41.9 +/- 14.7%, P < 0.05). The effect of 10 ng/ml of IL-3 resulting in reduced adhesion of normal CD34+ cells at 30 min was absent in 6/7 patients with CML. Abnormalities of adhesion to fibronectin may thus be related to IL-3 pathways affected by BCR-ABL. These findings will have implications for understanding the dysregulation of growth and adhesion in CML.
Citationalpha4beta1 integrin-mediated adhesion of CD34+ cells from patients with chronic myeloid leukaemia: influence of IL-3. 1999, 106 (2):524-7 Br. J. Haematol.
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Influence of interleukin-3 and other growth factors on alpha4beta1 integrin-mediated adhesion and migration of human hematopoietic progenitor cells.
- Authors: Schofield KP, Rushton G, Humphries MJ, Dexter TM, Gallagher JT
- Issue date: 1997 Sep 1
- The effect of alpha4 beta1-integrin binding sequences of fibronectin on growth of cells from human hematopoietic progenitors.
- Authors: Schofield KP, Humphries MJ, de Wynter E, Testa N, Gallagher JT
- Issue date: 1998 May 1
- Growth factor mobilization and modulation of progenitor cell adhesion to stromal cells: role of VLA-4.
- Authors: Dave B, Watanabe T, Singh RK, Ageitos A, Heimann DG, Talmadge JE
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- Interleukin-11 enhancement of VLA-5 mediated adhesion of CD34+ cells from cord blood to fibronectin is associated with the PI-3 kinase pathway.
- Authors: Wang LS, Liu HJ, Broxmeyer HE, Lu L
- Issue date: 2000 Mar-Apr
- Bcr/Abl expression stimulates integrin function in hematopoietic cell lines.
- Authors: Bazzoni G, Carlesso N, Griffin JD, Hemler ME
- Issue date: 1996 Jul 15