Estrogen receptor-positive proliferating cells in the normal and precancerous breast.
AuthorsShoker, Balvinder S
Clarke, Robert B
Davies, Michael P
Sibson, D Ross
Sloane, John P
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, University of Liverpool, Liverpool. United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecently it has been shown that epithelial cell expression of the estrogen receptor (ER) and that of the proliferation-associated marker Ki-67 are almost mutually exclusive in the normal premenopausal human breast but that coexpression frequently occurs in estrogen receptor-positive (ER+) breast cancers. This coexpression may indicate disordered expression of ER in the cell cycle or failure to suppress division of ER+ cells and could be important in neoplastic transformation. The purpose of this study was to determine whether in situ proliferations known to be associated with different levels of risk for developing breast cancer contain these coexpressing cells and, if so, the stage at which they occur. We found that ER+ proliferating cells were rare in premenopausal lobules but increased with age in the normal breast. There was no difference in nonlesional tissue between cancerous and noncancerous breasts. The percentage of dual-expressing cells was significantly increased, however, in all of the in situ proliferations and correlated positively with the level of risk of developing breast cancer. We suggest that development of at least some human breast cancers is associated with increasing failure to down-regulate ER as cells enter the cycle or to suppress division of ER+ cells. The mechanism may involve the loss of a tumor suppressor gene.
CitationEstrogen receptor-positive proliferating cells in the normal and precancerous breast. 1999, 155 (6):1811-5 Am. J. Pathol.
JournalAmerican Journal of Pathology
- Expression of ER, Ki-67 and cylinD1 in the pre-cancerous breast of Chinese patients.
- Authors: Zhou CJ, Zhang QH, Zhang TG, Sun SZ, Li H, Wang Y, Liu ZY
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Oestrogen receptor expression in the normal and pre-cancerous breast.
- Authors: Shoker BS, Jarvis C, Sibson DR, Walker C, Sloane JP
- Issue date: 1999 Jul
- Subgroups of non-atypical hyperplasia of breast defined by proliferation of oestrogen receptor-positive cells.
- Authors: Iqbal M, Davies MP, Shoker BS, Jarvis C, Sibson DR, Sloane JP
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Abnormal regulation of the oestrogen receptor in benign breast lesions.
- Authors: Shoker BS, Jarvis C, Clarke RB, Anderson E, Munro C, Davies MP, Sibson DR, Sloane JP
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Breast cancer risk in usual ductal hyperplasia is defined by estrogen receptor-alpha and Ki-67 expression.
- Authors: Shaaban AM, Sloane JP, West CR, Foster CS
- Issue date: 2002 Feb