Nucleolar segregation during apoptosis of haemopoietic stem cell line FDCP-Mix.
AffiliationDepartment of Structural Cell Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research & Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe programmed elimination of cells during apoptosis is distinct from necrosis both morphologically and biochemically. Currently, the morphological description of apoptosis discriminates between the segregation of the nucleolus and the so called 'chromatin condensation'. The latter originates from observations of electron dense material adjacent to the nuclear envelope of apoptotic nuclei. Although there is ample evidence for an involvement of DNA in electron dense marginations, their true nature is still unknown. By studying apoptosis in FDCP-Mix, a pluripotent murine haemopoietic stem cell line, we found morphological and histochemical evidence that electron dense material at the nuclear envelope (NE) has emerged as a result of the segregation of nucleoli in association with the nuclear membrane. The remaining electron dense and homogenous bulk of the nucleolus labels for RNAse-gold, but even more intensely for DNAse-gold, and therefore could possibly be mistaken as 'condensed chromatin' in the light microscope. The labelling of the electron dense material for DNase-gold in FDCP-Mix could be explained by a migration of DNA into the bulk of the nucleoli at an early stage of cell death.
CitationNucleolar segregation during apoptosis of haemopoietic stem cell line FDCP-Mix. 1999, 6 (4):334-41 Cell Death Differ.
JournalCell Death and Differentiation
- DNA inclusions within autolytic cytoplasmic vacuoles of hemopoietic stem cell line FDCP-Mix.
- Authors: Reipert S, Hickman JA, Allen TD
- Issue date: 1996 Jun
- Optimal detection of apoptosis by flow cytometry depends on cell morphology.
- Authors: Zamai L, Falcieri E, Zauli G, Cataldi A, Vitale M
- Issue date: 1993 Nov
- Proliferation, differentiation and apoptosis in villous trophoblast at 13-41 weeks of gestation (including observations on annulate lamellae and nuclear pore complexes).
- Authors: Mayhew TM, Leach L, McGee R, Ismail WW, Myklebust R, Lammiman MJ
- Issue date: 1999 Jul-Aug
- Condensation of the chromatin at the membrane of an apoptotic nucleus is not associated with activation of an endonuclease.
- Authors: Oberhammer F, Fritsch G, Schmied M, Pavelka M, Printz D, Purchio T, Lassmann H, Schulte-Hermann R
- Issue date: 1993 Feb
- Changes of mitochondrial mass in the hemopoietic stem cell line FDCP-mix after treatment with etoposide: a correlative study by multiparameter flow cytometry and confocal and electron microscopy.
- Authors: Reipert S, Berry J, Hughes MF, Hickman JA, Allen TD
- Issue date: 1995 Dec