Identification and characterisation of the Drosophila melanogaster O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase cDNA.
Zonneveld, Jose B M
Watson, Amanda J
Margison, Geoffrey P
Lohman, Paul H
AffiliationMGC Department of Radiation Genetics and Chemical Mutagenesis, Leiden University Medical Centre, Wassenaarseweg 72, 2333 AL Leiden, The Netherlands.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe protein O 6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase(alkyltransferase) is involved in the repair of O 6-alkylguanine and O 4-alkylthymine in DNA and plays an important role in most organisms in attenuating the cytotoxic and mutagenic effects of certain classes of alkylating agents. A genomic clone encompassing the Drosophila melanogaster alkyltransferase gene ( DmAGT ) was identified on the basis of sequence homology with corresponding genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and man. The DmAGT gene is located at position 84A on the third chromosome. The nucleotide sequence of DmAGT cDNA revealed an open reading frame encoding 194 amino acids. The MNNG-hypersensitive phenotype of alkyltransferase-deficient bacteria was rescued by expression of the DmAGT cDNA. Furthermore, alkyltransferase activity was identified in crude extracts of Escherichia coli harbouring DmAGT cDNA and this activity was inhibited by preincubation of the extract with an oligonucleotide containing a single O6-methylguanine lesion. Similar to E.coli Ogt and yeast alkyltransferase but in contrast to the human alkyltransferase, the Drosophila alkyltransferase is resistant to inactivation by O 6-benzylguanine. In an E.coli lac Z reversion assay, expression of DmAGT efficiently suppressed MNNG-induced G:C-->A:T as well as A:T-->G:C transition mutations in vivo. These results demonstrate the presence of an alkyltransferase specific for the repair of O 6-methylguanine and O 4-methylthymine in Drosophila.
CitationIdentification and characterisation of the Drosophila melanogaster O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase cDNA. 1999, 27 (8):1795-801 Nucleic Acids Res.
JournalNucleic Acids Research
- Comparison of the inactivation of mammalian and bacterial O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferases by O6-benzylguanine and O6-methylguanine.
- Authors: Dolan ME, Pegg AE, Dumenco LL, Moschel RC, Gerson SL
- Issue date: 1991 Dec
- Repair of synthetic oligonucleotides containing O6-methylguanine, O6-ethylguanine and O4-methylthymine, by O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase.
- Authors: Graves RJ, Li BF, Swann PF
- Issue date: 1987
- A single amino acid change in human O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase decreasing sensitivity to inactivation by O6-benzylguanine.
- Authors: Crone TM, Pegg AE
- Issue date: 1993 Oct 15
- Enhanced in vivo repair of O(4)-methylthymine by a mutant human DNA alkyltransferase.
- Authors: Encell LP, Loeb LA
- Issue date: 2000 Jul
- Mouse methyltransferase for repair of O6-methylguanine and O4-methylthymine in DNA.
- Authors: Kawate H, Ihara K, Kohda K, Sakumi K, Sekiguchi M
- Issue date: 1995 Jul