Id helix-loop-helix proteins inhibit nucleoprotein complex formation by the TCF ETS-domain transcription factors.
AffiliationDepartment of Biochemistry and Genetics, The Medical School, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Id subfamily of helix-loop-helix (HLH) proteins plays a fundamental role in the regulation of cellular proliferation and differentiation. Id proteins are thought to inhibit differentiation mainly through interaction with other HLH proteins and by blocking their DNA-binding activity. Members of the ternary complex factor (TCF) subfamily of ETS-domain proteins have key functions in regulating immediate-early gene expression in response to mitogenic stimulation. TCFs form DNA-bound complexes with the serum response factor (SRF) and are direct targets of MAP kinase (MAPK) signal transduction cascades. In this study we demonstrate functional interactions between Id proteins and TCFs. Ids bind to the ETS DNA-binding domain and disrupt the formation of DNA-bound complexes between TCFs and SRF on the c-fos serum response element (SRE). Inhibition occurs by disrupting protein-DNA interactions with the TCF component of this complex. In vivo, the Id proteins cause down-regulation of the transcriptional activity mediated by the TCFs and thereby block MAPK signalling to SREs. Therefore, our results demonstrate a novel facet of Id function in the coordination of mitogenic signalling and cell cycle entry.
CitationId helix-loop-helix proteins inhibit nucleoprotein complex formation by the TCF ETS-domain transcription factors. 1999, 18 (4):968-76 EMBO J.
- Id helix-loop-helix proteins antagonize pax transcription factor activity by inhibiting DNA binding.
- Authors: Roberts EC, Deed RW, Inoue T, Norton JD, Sharrocks AD
- Issue date: 2001 Jan
- Regulation of TCF ETS-domain transcription factors by helix-loop-helix motifs.
- Authors: Stinson J, Inoue T, Yates P, Clancy A, Norton JD, Sharrocks AD
- Issue date: 2003 Aug 15
- Integration of growth factor signals at the c-fos serum response element.
- Authors: Price MA, Hill C, Treisman R
- Issue date: 1996 Apr 29
- Net (ERP/SAP2) one of the Ras-inducible TCFs, has a novel inhibitory domain with resemblance to the helix-loop-helix motif.
- Authors: Maira SM, Wurtz JM, Wasylyk B
- Issue date: 1996 Nov 1
- Molecular characterization of the B-box protein-protein interaction motif of the ETS-domain transcription factor Elk-1.
- Authors: Ling Y, Lakey JH, Roberts CE, Sharrocks AD
- Issue date: 1997 May 1