Expression of proteoglycan core proteins in human bone marrow stroma.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. KSchofield@picr.man.ac.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHeparan sulphate proteoglycans (HSPGs) present on the surface of bone marrow stromal cells and in the extracellular matrix (ECM) have important roles in the control of adhesion and growth of haemopoietic stem and progenitor cells. The two main groups of proteoglycans which contain heparan sulphate chains are members of the syndecan and glypican families. In this study we have identified the main surface membrane and matrix-associated HSPGs present in normal human bone marrow stroma formed in long-term culture. Proteoglycans were extracted from the adherent stromal layers and treated with heparitinase and chondroitinase ABC. The core proteins were detected by Western blotting using antibodies directed against syndecans-1-4, glypican-1 and the ECM HSPG, perlecan. Stromal cell expression at the RNA level was detected by Northern blotting and by reverse transcription PCR. Glypican-1, syndecan-3 and syndecan-4 were the major cell-membrane HSPG species and perlecan was the major ECM proteoglycan. There was no evidence for expression of syndecan-1 protein. Syndecan-3 was expressed mainly as a variant or processed 50-55 kDa core protein and in lower amounts as the characteristic 125 kDa core protein. These results suggest that syndecan-3, syndecan-4 and glypican-1 present on the surface of marrow stromal cells, together with perlecan in the ECM, may be responsible for creating the correct stromal 'niche' for the maintenance and development of haemopoietic stem and progenitor cells. The detection of a variant form of syndecan-3 as a major stromal HSPG suggests a specific role for this syndecan in haemopoiesis.
CitationExpression of proteoglycan core proteins in human bone marrow stroma. 1999, 343 Pt 3:663-8 Biochem. J.
- Heparan sulfate proteoglycan expression in chronic cholestatic human liver diseases.
- Authors: Roskams T, Rosenbaum J, De Vos R, David G, Desmet V
- Issue date: 1996 Sep
- Differential expression of cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycans in human mammary epithelial cells and lung fibroblasts.
- Authors: Lories V, Cassiman JJ, Van den Berghe H, David G
- Issue date: 1992 Jan 15
- Localisation of specific heparan sulfate proteoglycans during the proliferative phase of brain development.
- Authors: Ford-Perriss M, Turner K, Guimond S, Apedaile A, Haubeck HD, Turnbull J, Murphy M
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- Heparan sulfate proteoglycan expression is induced during early erythroid differentiation of multipotent hematopoietic stem cells.
- Authors: Drzeniek Z, Stöcker G, Siebertz B, Just U, Schroeder T, Ostertag W, Haubeck HD
- Issue date: 1999 May 1
- Heparan sulphate proteoglycan expression in human primary liver tumours.
- Authors: Roskams T, De Vos R, David G, Van Damme B, Desmet V
- Issue date: 1998 Jul