Photoprotection by topical DNA repair enzymes: molecular correlates of clinical studies.
AffiliationAGI Dermatics, Freeport, NY 11420, USA. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA new approach to photoprotection is to repair DNA damage after UV exposure. This can be accomplished by delivery of a DNA repair enzyme with specificity to UV-induced cyclobutane pyrimidine dimers into skin by means of specially engineered liposomes. Treatment of DNA-repair-deficient xeroderma pigmentosum patients or skin cancer patients with T4N5 liposome lotion containing such DNA repair liposomes increases the removal of DNA damage in the first few hours after treatment. In these studies, a DNA repair effect was observed in some patients treated with heat-inactivated enzyme. Unexpectedly, it was discovered that the heat-inactivated T4 endonuclease V enzyme refolds and recovers enzymatic activity. These studies demonstrate that measurements of molecular changes induced by biological drugs are useful adjuvants to clinical studies.
CitationPhotoprotection by topical DNA repair enzymes: molecular correlates of clinical studies. 1999, 69 (2):136-40 Photochem. Photobiol.
JournalPhotochemistry and Photobiology
- Pyrimidine dimer removal enhanced by DNA repair liposomes reduces the incidence of UV skin cancer in mice.
- Authors: Yarosh D, Alas LG, Yee V, Oberyszyn A, Kibitel JT, Mitchell D, Rosenstein R, Spinowitz A, Citron M
- Issue date: 1992 Aug 1
- Effect of topically applied T4 endonuclease V in liposomes on skin cancer in xeroderma pigmentosum: a randomised study. Xeroderma Pigmentosum Study Group.
- Authors: Yarosh D, Klein J, O'Connor A, Hawk J, Rafal E, Wolf P
- Issue date: 2001 Mar 24
- Topical treatment with liposomes containing T4 endonuclease V protects human skin in vivo from ultraviolet-induced upregulation of interleukin-10 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha.
- Authors: Wolf P, Maier H, Müllegger RR, Chadwick CA, Hofmann-Wellenhof R, Soyer HP, Hofer A, Smolle J, Horn M, Cerroni L, Yarosh D, Klein J, Bucana C, Dunner K Jr, Potten CS, Hönigsmann H, Kerl H, Kripke ML
- Issue date: 2000 Jan
- Repairing DNA damage in xeroderma pigmentosum: T4N5 lotion and gene therapy.
- Authors: Zahid S, Brownell I
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Enzyme therapy of xeroderma pigmentosum: safety and efficacy testing of T4N5 liposome lotion containing a prokaryotic DNA repair enzyme.
- Authors: Yarosh D, Klein J, Kibitel J, Alas L, O'Connor A, Cummings B, Grob D, Gerstein D, Gilchrest BA, Ichihashi M, Ogoshi M, Ueda M, Fernandez V, Chadwick C, Potten CS, Proby CM, Young AR, Hawk JL
- Issue date: 1996 Jun