Oxidation of alpha1-proteinase inhibitor by the myeloperoxidase-hydrogen peroxidase system promotes binding to immunoglobulin A.
AffiliationDepartment of Haemopoeitic Cell and Gene Therapy, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have demonstrated previously that patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) show an increase in serum and synovial fluid levels of complexes between alpha1-proteinase inhibitor (alpha1PI) and IgA. These are believed to form through disulfide binding between the Cys232 residue on alpha1PI and the penultimate cysteine residue (Cys471) of the IgA alpha chain. The mechanism for this has not been elucidated. We show here that alpha1PI oxidized by the myeloperoxidase-hydrogen peroxide (MPO-H2O2) system promotes the formation of IgA-alpha1PI complexes when incubated with IgA and that such complexes have no inhibitory activity against porcine pancreatic elastase (PPE). The activity of alpha1PI was considerably reduced also in IgA-alpha1PI complexes isolated from serum of an RA patient. We suggest that formation of IgA-alpha1PI complexes in inflammation may involve oxidation of alpha1PI, and as a consequence the alpha1PI in such complexes has reduced elastase inhibitory activity.
CitationOxidation of alpha1-proteinase inhibitor by the myeloperoxidase-hydrogen peroxidase system promotes binding to immunoglobulin A. 1999, 255 (3):562-7 Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun.
JournalBiochemical and Biophysical Research Communications
- Serum complexes of immunoglobulin A-alpha1 proteinase inhibitor in rheumatoid arthritis: association with current cigarette smoking and disease activity.
- Authors: Hutchinson D, O'Leary C, Nixon NB, Mattey DL
- Issue date: 2002 May-Jun
- Specific activity of alpha1proteinase inhibitor and alpha2macroglobulin in human serum: application to insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: Bristow CL, Di Meo F, Arnold RR
- Issue date: 1998 Dec
- Active site distortion is sufficient for proteinase inhibition by serpins: structure of the covalent complex of alpha1-proteinase inhibitor with porcine pancreatic elastase.
- Authors: Dementiev A, Dobó J, Gettins PG
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 10
- Polymorphonuclear elastase-alpha1-proteinase inhibitor (elastase-alpha1 antitrypsin) in patients with rheumatic diseases: influence of disease activity.
- Authors: Beyeler C, Banks RE, Bird HA
- Issue date: 2000 Jan
- Measurement of both native and inactivated forms of alpha1 proteinase inhibitor in human inflammatory extracellular fluids.
- Authors: Petropoulou P, Zhang Z, Curtis MA, Johnson NW, Hughes FJ, Winyard PG
- Issue date: 2003 Sep