Monomer complexes of basic fibroblast growth factor and heparan sulfate oligosaccharides are the minimal functional unit for cell activation.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign (CRC) Department of Drug Development and Imaging, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester M20 4BX, United Kingdom. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe interaction of basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) with heparan sulfate (HS)/heparin has been shown to strongly enhance the activity of the growth factor although the mechanism of activation is unclear. We have addressed the issue of the minimal stoichiometry of an active HS oligosaccharide.bFGF complex by chemically cross-linking the two components to form novel covalent conjugates. The cross-linking procedure produced both monomeric and dimeric bFGF. oligosaccharide complexes, which were purified to homogeneity. Dimer conjugates were shown to have been formed as a result of disulfide bridging of monomer conjugates. These monomer conjugates were subsequently found to be biologically active in a mitogenesis assay. We therefore conclude that a monomeric bFGF.oligosaccharide complex is the minimal functional unit required for mitogenic stimulation.
CitationMonomer complexes of basic fibroblast growth factor and heparan sulfate oligosaccharides are the minimal functional unit for cell activation. 1999, 274 (19):13456-61 J. Biol. Chem.
JournalJournal of Biological Chemistry
- Differential structural requirements of heparin and heparan sulfate proteoglycans that promote binding of basic fibroblast growth factor to its receptor.
- Authors: Aviezer D, Levy E, Safran M, Svahn C, Buddecke E, Schmidt A, David G, Vlodavsky I, Yayon A
- Issue date: 1994 Jan 7
- Heparan sulfate oligosaccharides require 6-O-sulfation for promotion of basic fibroblast growth factor mitogenic activity.
- Authors: Pye DA, Vives RR, Turnbull JE, Hyde P, Gallagher JT
- Issue date: 1998 Sep 4
- Two hierarchies of FGF-2 signaling in heparin: mitogenic stimulation and high-affinity binding/receptor transphosphorylation.
- Authors: Krufka A, Guimond S, Rapraeger AC
- Issue date: 1996 Aug 27
- Identification of the basic fibroblast growth factor binding sequence in fibroblast heparan sulfate.
- Authors: Turnbull JE, Fernig DG, Ke Y, Wilkinson MC, Gallagher JT
- Issue date: 1992 May 25
- Structure of a heparan sulphate oligosaccharide that binds to basic fibroblast growth factor.
- Authors: Habuchi H, Suzuki S, Saito T, Tamura T, Harada T, Yoshida K, Kimata K
- Issue date: 1992 Aug 1