AffiliationDepartment of Radiotherapy, Christie Hospital, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA study was made of 187 patients with parotid pleomorphic adenoma treated by radiotherapy. This followed surgery but with incomplete removal or tumor spillage. In the early years of the study radiotherapy was given by radium needle implant done usually at the time of surgery, but from the late 1960s beam-directed external radiotherapy with a head shell was used most commonly. A 3-field technique or wedge pair was the standard technique. The median age was 46 with nearly half the patients (87/187) aged between 40 and 60, and the ratio of women to men was 1.4:1 (110:77). Median follow-up for all patients was 14 years. One hundred fifteen patients had radiotherapy immediately after their first operation with a recurrence rate of 0.9% (1/115). Of the 115 there were 2 cases of radionecrosis (1 major, 1 minor), 1 case of permanent facial nerve palsy, 1 Frey Syndrome (post-gustatory sweating), and 1 salivary fistula. Seventy-two patients had radiotherapy delayed until one or more recurrences had been surgically treated. Nine (12.5%) of these developed yet further recurrence after radiotherapy. There were 2 cases of radionecrosis (1 major), 4 cases of facial nerve palsy (3 of which were complete), 16 cases (22.2%) of Frey Syndrome, and 1 case of malignant change in a parotid tumor. In addition one squamous cell carcinoma developed at the site of a needle implant 25 years later. Recurrences after radiotherapy continued beyond 20 years of follow-up. Patients having unsatisfactory surgery due to spill at operation or residual tumor left behind should have radiotherapy immediately and not delayed until local recurrence occurs because of the increased morbidity and the higher incidence of yet further recurrence.
CitationRadiotherapy for pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland. 1992, 22 (5):925-8 Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys.
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics
- Parotidectomy in the treatment of pleomorphic adenoma -- analysis of long-term results.
- Authors: Silvoniemi A, Pulkkinen J, Grénman R
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Pleomorphic adenoma: effect of tumor spill and inadequate resection on tumor recurrence.
- Authors: Buchman C, Stringer SP, Mendenhall WM, Parsons JT, Jordan JR, Cassisi NJ
- Issue date: 1994 Oct
- Long-term results of local excision and radiotherapy in pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid.
- Authors: Dawson AK, Orr JA
- Issue date: 1985 Mar
- Recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland: Institutional experience and review of the literature.
- Authors: Abu-Ghanem Y, Mizrachi A, Popovtzer A, Abu-Ghanem N, Feinmesser R
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Carcinoma ex benign pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland.
- Authors: Nouraei SA, Hope KL, Kelly CG, McLean NR, Soames JV
- Issue date: 2005 Oct