Mycosis fungoides--response to therapy and survival patterns in 85 cases.
AbstractThe clinical course and management of 85 cases of mycosis fungoides presenting over a 20-year period are described. The extent of skin involvement and presence of lymphadenopathy were seen to be important prognostic factors. The following survival patterns were observed. In eight cases with limited plaque disease there was prolonged disease-free survival after treatment with kilovoltage X-rays; after a median follow-up of 64 months there was only one case of progression to generalized disease. In 49 cases of generalized skin disease (plaque disease +/- tumours; erythroderma) treated with total skin electron beam therapy there was a 24% 5-year disease-free survival; this potential for long-term survival was seen in cases with generalized plaque disease without lymphadenopathy. The remainder of the cases showed a continuously relapsing course. The extent of skin involvement and presence of lymphadenopathy can both be used as known prognostic factors to adopt a logical plan of treatment.
CitationMycosis fungoides--response to therapy and survival patterns in 85 cases. 1987, 116 (1):47-53 Br. J. Dermatol.
JournalThe British Journal of Dermatology
- Clinical characteristics and long-term outcome of patients with generalized patch and/or plaque (T2) mycosis fungoides.
- Authors: Kim YH, Chow S, Varghese A, Hoppe RT
- Issue date: 1999 Jan
- Clinical stage IA (limited patch and plaque) mycosis fungoides. A long-term outcome analysis.
- Authors: Kim YH, Jensen RA, Watanabe GL, Varghese A, Hoppe RT
- Issue date: 1996 Nov
- Mycosis fungoides: disease evolution and prognosis of 309 Dutch patients.
- Authors: van Doorn R, Van Haselen CW, van Voorst Vader PC, Geerts ML, Heule F, de Rie M, Steijlen PM, Dekker SK, van Vloten WA, Willemze R
- Issue date: 2000 Apr
- Experience with total skin electron beam therapy in combination with extracorporeal photopheresis in the management of patients with erythrodermic (T4) mycosis fungoides.
- Authors: Wilson LD, Jones GW, Kim D, Rosenthal D, Christensen IR, Edelson RL, Heald PW, Kacinski BM
- Issue date: 2000 Jul
- Clinical characteristics and outcome of patients with extracutaneous mycosis fungoides.
- Authors: de Coninck EC, Kim YH, Varghese A, Hoppe RT
- Issue date: 2001 Feb 1