Carcinoma of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses: an analysis of radical radiotherapy.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiotherapy and Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA retrospective analysis was conducted of 152 patients with carcinoma of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses who were treated with radical radiotherapy between 1975-1984. Stages at presentation were T1 11%, T2 18%, T3 27%, and T4 44%. The median follow-up was 61 months. The overall corrected 5-year survival was 47% and by T stage, T1 86%, T2 82%, T3 49%, T4 25%. Local control was achieved in 45% of cases following radiotherapy. Salvage surgery was attempted in 20 patients where radiotherapy failed and was successful in eight. Nodal disease was present in 6.5% of patients at presentation and 10.5% developed nodal disease after treatment. Nodal disease as sole relapse occurred in four patients and was associated with prolonged survival following radical salvage treatment. Distant metastatic disease occurred in 25 patients and of these 17 (68%) also had locoregional failure. Osteoradionecrosis occurred in three cases, and a further three cases developed bilateral blindness. We conclude that radical radiotherapy achieves results comparable to published data for combined surgery and radiotherapy with acceptable toxicity.
CitationCarcinoma of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses: an analysis of radical radiotherapy. 1991, 3 (2):84-9 Clin Oncol
- [Malignomas of the nasal cavity and the paranasal sinuses: clinical characteristics, therapy and prognosis of different tumor types].
- Authors: Euteneuer S, Sudhoff H, Bernal-Sprekelsen M, Theegarten D, Dazert S
- Issue date: 2004 Jan
- Malignancies of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses: long-term outcome with conventional or three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy.
- Authors: Dirix P, Nuyts S, Geussens Y, Jorissen M, Vander Poorten V, Fossion E, Hermans R, Van den Bogaert W
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 15
- Treatment of nasal cavity and paranasal sinus cancer with modern radiotherapy techniques in the postoperative setting--the MSKCC experience.
- Authors: Hoppe BS, Stegman LD, Zelefsky MJ, Rosenzweig KE, Wolden SL, Patel SG, Shah JP, Kraus DH, Lee NY
- Issue date: 2007 Mar 1
- Post-operative intensity-modulated radiotherapy for malignancies of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses.
- Authors: Dirix P, Nuyts S, Vanstraelen B, Nulens A, Hermans R, Jorissen M, Vander Poorten V, Van den Bogaert W
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Stage III-IV sinonasal and nasal cavity carcinoma treated with three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy.
- Authors: Gabriele AM, Airoldi M, Garzaro M, Zeverino M, Amerio S, Condello C, Trotti AB
- Issue date: 2008 May-Jun