Herpesvirus papio encodes a functional homologue of the Epstein-Barr virus apoptosis suppressor, BHRF1.
AffiliationDepartment of Molecular Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester M20 9BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe human tumour virus Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) encodes a 17 kDa protein, BHRF1, which is a member of the BCL:-2 family and has been shown to suppress apoptosis. The role of this gene in the life-cycle of EBV has not been fully elucidated. In order to identify motifs conserved in herpesviruses and possibly shed light on its function we isolated a BHRF1 homologue from herpesvirus papio (cercopithecine herpesvirus-12) a closely related gammaherpesvirus of baboons. The gene, hvpBHRF1, also encodes a 17 kDa protein which shares 64% identity and 79% similarity with EBV BHRF1 at the amino acid level. In biological assays, hvpBHRF1 and BHRF1 conferred similar levels of protection on human keratinocytes induced to apoptose with cis-platin.
CitationHerpesvirus papio encodes a functional homologue of the Epstein-Barr virus apoptosis suppressor, BHRF1. 2000, 81 (Pt 7):1801-5 J. Gen. Virol.
JournalThe Journal of General Virology
- BHRF1, a viral homologue of the Bcl-2 oncogene, is conserved at both the sequence and functional level in different Epstein-Barr virus isolates.
- Authors: Khanim F, Dawson C, Meseda CA, Dawson J, Mackett M, Young LS
- Issue date: 1997 Nov
- Herpesvirus pan encodes a functional homologue of BHRF1, the Epstein-Barr virus v-Bcl-2.
- Authors: Howell M, Williams T, Hazlewood SA
- Issue date: 2005 Feb 3
- Comparative analysis of the expression of the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) anti-apoptotic gene BHRF1 in nasopharyngeal carcinoma and EBV-related lymphoid diseases.
- Authors: Nicholls J, Kremmer E, Meseda CA, Mackett M, Hahn P, Gulley ML, Brink A, Swinnen LJ, Greenspan J, De Souza Y, Grässer F, Sham J, Ng MH, Arrand JR
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- BHRF1 is highly conserved in primate virus analogues of Epstein-Barr virus.
- Authors: Williams T, Sale D, Hazlewood SA
- Issue date: 2001
- 5' Coding and regulatory region sequence divergence with conserved function of the Epstein-Barr virus LMP2A homolog in herpesvirus papio.
- Authors: Franken M, Annis B, Ali AN, Wang F
- Issue date: 1995 Dec