The abnormal cytotoxicities of 2,5-diaziridinyl-1,4-benzoquinone-3-phenyl esters.
AffiliationDepartment of Biological Sciences, Salford University, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSeveral derivatives of 2,5-diaziridinyl-3-phenyl-1,4-benzoquinone have been synthesized and their cytotoxicities in six different human cancer cell lines (H460, H596, HT29, BE, K562 and A2780) have been determined. It was observed that certain phenol-ester derivatives were significantly more cytotoxic in all of the cell lines investigated. These esters were shown to be cleaved by esterases to form a stable meta-phenol and an unstable para-phenol. The meta-phenol was also highly cytotoxic. Several of these compounds were studied in detail using DNA cross-linking, clonogenic, apoptosis and flow cytometry assays. It is proposed that although the phenol-esters and the phenols can efficiently cross-link DNA, this mechanism alone is not sufficient to explain the toxicities of these compounds.
CitationThe abnormal cytotoxicities of 2,5-diaziridinyl-1,4-benzoquinone-3-phenyl esters. 2000, 15 (5):347-59 Anticancer Drug Des.
JournalAnti-Cancer Drug Design
- A new screening system for NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase (NQO1)-directed antitumor quinones: identification of a new aziridinylbenzoquinone, RH1, as a NQO1-directed antitumor agent.
- Authors: Winski SL, Hargreaves RH, Butler J, Ross D
- Issue date: 1998 Dec
- RH1 induces cellular damage in an NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1-dependent manner: relationship between DNA cross-linking, cell cycle perturbations, and apoptosis.
- Authors: Dehn DL, Inayat-Hussain SH, Ross D
- Issue date: 2005 May
- The effect of functional groups on reduction and activation of quinone bioreductive agents by DT-diaphorase.
- Authors: Fourie J, Oleschuk CJ, Guziec F Jr, Guziec L, Fiterman DJ, Monterrosa C, Begleiter A
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Structure-activity study with bioreductive benzoquinone alkylating agents: effects on DT-diaphorase-mediated DNA crosslink and strand break formation in relation to mechanisms of cytotoxicity.
- Authors: Fourie J, Guziec F Jr, Guziec L, Monterrosa C, Fiterman DJ, Begleiter A
- Issue date: 2004 Mar
- Cross-linking and sequence-specific alkylation of DNA by aziridinylquinones. 3. Effects of alkyl substituents.
- Authors: Hargreaves RH, O'Hare CC, Hartley JA, Ross D, Butler J
- Issue date: 1999 Jun 17