Formation and persistence of O(6)-methylguanine in the mouse colon following treatment with 1,2-dimethylhydrazine as measured by an O(6)-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase inactivation assay.
AffiliationCRC Carcinogenesis Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFemale SWR mice were treated with 1,2-dimethylhydrazine (DMH: 6.8 mg/kg i.p. injection) once weekly for up to 10 weeks, a dosing regime that produced tumours principally within the distal colon (Jackson et al., 1999. Carcinogenesis 20, 509-513). O(6)-Methylguanine (O(6)-MeG) levels, measured using a simple [3H]-based O(6)-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase (ATase) inactivation assay, ranged from 0.6 to 16.7 fmol/microg DNA with: (i) highest levels in the distal colon; and (ii) higher levels after 68 mg/kg total DMH than 6.8 mg/kg DMH. Basal ATase activity varied between 0.97 and 1.22 fmol/microg DNA within the colon but was not associated with adduct levels or tumour induction. After 6.8 mg/kg DMH, the half life of O(6)-MeG in colonic tissue was 36-42 h whereas after 68 mg/kg DMH, t1/2 was approximately 25, 57 and 96 h in the proximal, mid and distal colon, respectively. Tumour induction was thus associated with the levels and persistence of O(6)-MeG in the distal colon.
CitationFormation and persistence of O(6)-methylguanine in the mouse colon following treatment with 1,2-dimethylhydrazine as measured by an O(6)-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase inactivation assay. 2000, 115 (3):205-12 Toxicol. Lett.
- Associations between tissue-specific DNA alkylation, DNA repair and cell proliferation in the colon and colon tumour yield in mice treated with 1,2-dimethylhydrazine.
- Authors: Jackson PE, O'Connor PJ, Cooper DP, Margison GP, Povey AC
- Issue date: 2003 Mar
- Inhibition of 1, 2-dimethylhydrazine-induced mucin-depleted foci and O⁶-methylguanine DNA adducts in the rat colorectum by boiled garlic powder.
- Authors: Chihara T, Shimpo K, Kaneko T, Beppu H, Mizutani K, Higashiguchi T, Sonoda S
- Issue date: 2010
- Repair and removal of azoxymethane-induced O6-methylguanine in rat colon by O6-methylguanine DNA methyltransferase and apoptosis.
- Authors: Nyskohus LS, Watson AJ, Margison GP, Le Leu RK, Kim SW, Lockett TJ, Head RJ, Young GP, Hu Y
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 12
- Supplemental dietary calcium fails to alter the acute effects of 1,2-dimethylhydrazine on O6-methylguanine, O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase and cellular proliferation in the rat colon.
- Authors: Jacoby RF, Bolt MJ, Dolan ME, Otto G, Dudeja P, Sitrin MD, Brasitus TA
- Issue date: 1993 Jun
- Role of cytochrome P450 in DNA damage produced by treatment of colon cells with 1,2-dimethylhydrazine.
- Authors: Vasquez H, Strobel H
- Issue date: 2001 Mar