Multicentre European study comparing selection techniques for the isolation of CD34+ cells.
AuthorsDe Wynter, Erika A
Ryder, W David J
Testa, Nydia G
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrimitive haemopoietic cells are required for studies in both the clinical and research fields and a number of systems have been developed to facilitate isolation of these haemopoietic cell populations. We have analysed the results from several European centres using positive selection of CD34+ cells from haemopoietic tissues (n = 110). Four selection techniques including immunoaffinity columns (Ceprate LC), immunomagnetic beads (Dynabeads, Baxter Isolex 50) and submicroscopic magnetic beads (MACS) were used and the selected CD34+ cells were assessed for purity, yield and enrichment of colony-forming cells (CFC). The mean purities for all samples ranged from 68.4-78.4% for MACS, 33.9-69.9% for Dynabeads, 46.9-66.8% for Ceprate LC and 43.2-65% for Baxter Isolex 50. Yields were variable with all techniques. On average CFC enrichment using the immunoaffinity columns was greater than that observed for the other systems. Some techniques appear to be problematic and may require further expertise to improve the results. Nevertheless, the study demonstrates that highly purified CD34+ cells can be isolated from various haemopoietic sources, though yield and CFC enrichment varies significantly depending on the technique selected. This extends our previous report indicating that not all selection methods generate similar results and that there are differences in the purity, number and colony-forming ability of the cells recovered.
CitationMulticentre European study comparing selection techniques for the isolation of CD34+ cells. 1999, 23 (11):1191-6 Bone Marrow Transplant.
JournalBone Marrow Transplantation
- Comparison of purity and enrichment of CD34+ cells from bone marrow, umbilical cord and peripheral blood (primed for apheresis) using five separation systems.
- Authors: de Wynter EA, Coutinho LH, Pei X, Marsh JC, Hows J, Luft T, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1995 Sep
- CD34+ cell selection in chronic phase chronic myeloid leukaemia: a comparison of laboratory grade columns.
- Authors: Hawkins TE, Marley SB, O'Brien SG, Gordon MY, Goldman JM
- Issue date: 1997 Sep
- Purging and haemopoietic progenitor cell selection by CD34+ cell separation.
- Authors: Krüger W, Gruber M, Hennings S, Fehse N, Fehse B, Gutensohn K, Kröger N, Zander AR
- Issue date: 1998 Apr
- Improvement of tumor cell depletion by combining immunomagnetic positive selection of CD34-positive hematopoietic stem cells and negative selection (purging) of tumor cells.
- Authors: Hoppe B, Mohr M, Roots-Weiss A, Kienast J, Berdel WE
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- Combined positive and negative cell selection from allogeneic peripheral blood progenitor cells (PBPC) by use of immunomagnetic methods.
- Authors: Martín-Henao GA, Picón M, Amill B, Querol S, Ferrà C, Grañena A, García J
- Issue date: 2001 Apr