AuthorsGoldberg, Martin W
Rutherford, Sandra A
Hughes, Mike F
Cotter, Laura A
Allen, Terence D
Clarke, Paul R
AffiliationCRC Department of Structural Cell Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 9BX, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTransport across the nuclear membranes occurs through the nuclear pore complex (NPC), and is mediated by soluble transport factors including Ran, a small GTPase that is generally GDP-bound during import and GTP-bound for export. The dynamic nature of the NPC structure suggests a possible active role for it in driving translocation. Here we show that RanGTP but not RanGDP causes alterations of NPC structure when injected into the cytoplasm of Xenopus oocytes, including compaction of the NPC and extension of the cytoplasmic filaments. RanGTP caused accumulation of nucleoplasmin-gold along the length of extended cytoplasmic filaments, whereas RanGDP caused accumulation around the cytoplasmic rim of the NPC. This suggests a possible role for Ran in altering the conformation of the cytoplasmic filaments during transport.
CitationRan alters nuclear pore complex conformation. 2000, 300 (3):519-29 J. Mol. Biol.
JournalJournal of Molecular Biology
- Identification of different roles for RanGDP and RanGTP in nuclear protein import.
- Authors: Görlich D, Panté N, Kutay U, Aebi U, Bischoff FR
- Issue date: 1996 Oct 15
- Chromatin-independent nuclear envelope assembly induced by Ran GTPase in Xenopus egg extracts.
- Authors: Zhang C, Clarke PR
- Issue date: 2000 May 26
- The nucleoporin Nup98 is a site for GDP/GTP exchange on ran and termination of karyopherin beta 2-mediated nuclear import.
- Authors: Fontoura BM, Blobel G, Yaseen NR
- Issue date: 2000 Oct 6
- The role of the ran GTPase in nuclear assembly and DNA replication: characterisation of the effects of Ran mutants.
- Authors: Hughes M, Zhang C, Avis JM, Hutchison CJ, Clarke PR
- Issue date: 1998 Oct
- Receptor-mediated substrate translocation through the nuclear pore complex without nucleotide triphosphate hydrolysis.
- Authors: Englmeier L, Olivo JC, Mattaj IW
- Issue date: 1999 Jan 14