Genomic alterations associated with loss of heterozygosity for TP53 in Li-Fraumeni syndrome fibroblasts.
AffiliationCRC Cancer Genetics Group, Patterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStudies of Li-Fraumeni syndrome fibroblasts heterozygous for germline TP53 mutations have shown that loss of heterozygosity (LOH) occurs during passaging and is associated with genomic instability, such as chromosomal aberrations and aneuploidy to investigate the genomic changes associated with LOH in Li-Fraumeni (LF) fibroblasts, we have analysed cell strains at increasing population doublings (PD) using Comparative Genomic Hybridization (CGH). We have looked at three groups of cell strains: LF mutation-carrying strains which showed LOH for TP53, LF mutation-carrying strains which did not show LOH, and strains from normal individuals. Using CGH, we have detected loss of distinct chromosomal regions associated with LOH in 4 out of 5 mutation-carrying strains. In particular we have found loss of chromosomal regions containing genes involved in cell cycle control or senescence, including loss of 9p and 17p in these strains. Other recurrent changes included loss of chromosomes 4q and 6q, regions shown to contain one or more tumour suppressor genes. No genomic alterations were detected at cumulative PD in the normal strains or in the LF mutation-carrying strains which did not show LOH for TP53. We have also analysed the three groups of strains for microsatellite instability and somatic TP53 mutations, and have found genetic alterations in only one strain.
CitationGenomic alterations associated with loss of heterozygosity for TP53 in Li-Fraumeni syndrome fibroblasts. 2000, 83 (4):467-72 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- A detailed study of loss of heterozygosity on chromosome 17 in tumours from Li-Fraumeni patients carrying a mutation to the TP53 gene.
- Authors: Varley JM, Thorncroft M, McGown G, Appleby J, Kelsey AM, Tricker KJ, Evans DG, Birch JM
- Issue date: 1997 Feb 20
- The relationship between radiation-induced G(1)arrest and chromosome aberrations in Li-Fraumeni fibroblasts with or without germline TP53 mutations.
- Authors: Boyle JM, Spreadborough A, Greaves MJ, Birch JM, Varley JM, Scott D
- Issue date: 2001 Jul 20
- Delayed chromosome changes in gamma-irradiated normal and Li-Fraumeni fibroblasts.
- Authors: Boyle JM, Spreadborough AR, Greaves MJ, Birch JM, Varley JM, Scott D
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Chromosome instability in fibroblasts derived from Li-Fraumeni syndrome families without TP53 mutations.
- Authors: Boyle JM, Spreadborough A, Greaves MJ, Birch JM, Scott D
- Issue date: 2000 Nov
- Chromosome instability is a predominant trait of fibroblasts from Li-Fraumeni families.
- Authors: Boyle JM, Mitchell EL, Greaves MJ, Roberts SA, Tricker K, Burt E, Varley JM, Birch JM, Scott D
- Issue date: 1998 Jun