Raltitrexed (Tomudex) concomitant with radiotherapy as adjuvant treatment for patients with rectal cancer: preliminary results of phase I studies.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadiotherapy, either alone or in combination with chemotherapy, may reduce local recurrence of rectal cancer following surgery and improve survival of patients with operable and advanced/recurrent/inoperable disease. Chemotherapy with 5-fluorouracil in combination with radiotherapy has been used both before and after surgery; however, the optimum schedule is unclear. In addition, alternative chemotherapy with raltitrexed (Tomudex) may be more convenient and better tolerated. The preliminary results of three phase I dose-finding studies are described, combining escalating doses of raltitrexed with radiotherapy as pre- or postoperative treatment for operable rectal cancer or as treatment for advanced/inoperable/recurrent rectal cancer. The recommended dose of raltitrexed when combined with adjuvant radiotherapy is likely to be 2.6 mg/m2. This is a small dose reduction compared with the dose of raltitrexed for the treatment of advanced colorectal cancer (3.0 mg/m2); however, toxicity appears to be lower using the pre-operative approach. Neo-adjuvant therapy with raltitrexed plus radiotherapy also demonstrated clinical activity in the pre-operative study, which showed that 22% of patients achieved a complete response and 56% a partial response. Once the recommended dose has been defined in each setting, large-scale studies will be undertaken as appropriate.
CitationRaltitrexed (Tomudex) concomitant with radiotherapy as adjuvant treatment for patients with rectal cancer: preliminary results of phase I studies. 1999, 35 Suppl 1:S19-22 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Raltitrexed ('Tomudex') and radiotherapy can be combined as postoperative treatment for rectal cancer.
- Authors: Botwood N, James R, Vernon C, Price P
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- Preoperative chemoradiation with raltitrexed ('Tomudex') for T2/N+ and T3/N+ rectal cancers: a phase I study.
- Authors: Valentini V, Doglietto GB, Morganti AG, Turriziani A, Smaniotto D, De Santis M, Ratto C, Sofo L, Cellini N
- Issue date: 2001 Nov
- Raltitrexed and radiotherapy as adjuvant treatment for stage II-III rectal cancer: a feasibility study.
- Authors: Lupattelli M, Maranzano E, Bellavita R, Natalini G, Corgna E, Rossetti R, Trippa F, Mascioni F, Sidoni A, Anselmo P, Buzzi F, Brugia M, Latini P
- Issue date: 2005 Nov-Dec
- Oxaliplatin with raltitrexed and preoperative radiotherapy in T3-T4 extraperitoneal rectal cancer. A dose finding study.
- Authors: Lupattelli M, Bellavita R, Natalini G, Giovenali P, Sidoni A, Castagnoli P, Corgna E, Draghini L, Trippolini R, Aristei C
- Issue date: 2006 Nov-Dec
- Pre-operative radiochemotherapy with raltitrexed for resectable locally-advanced rectal cancer: a phase II study.
- Authors: Leonardi MC, Zampino MG, Luca F, Jereczek-Fossa BA, Petazzi E, Tatani B, Lazzari R, Biffi R, Lorizzo K, Magni E, Scanniffio D, Orsi F, Bonomo G, Petralia G, Trovato C, Crosta C, Andreoni B, Orecchia R
- Issue date: 2006 May-Jun