Paradoxical expression of E-cadherin in prostatic bone metastases.
AffiliationDepartment of Urology, University Hospital of South Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To determine whether the calcium-dependent cell adhesion molecule E-cadherin is expressed in metastatic deposits of prostate cancer in bone. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Ten bone biopsies containing metastatic deposits of untreated prostatic cancer were obtained and immunohistochemically stained for E-cadherin with the monoclonal antibody HECD-1, using the streptavidin-biotin complex technique. Benign prostatic tissue was used as the control. RESULTS: Of the 10 specimens, nine showed positive expression of E-cadherin, graded as strong in four. E-cadherin expression was strongest in well-differentiated metastases and decreased with increasing tumour grade. In some specimens there were mixed patterns of expression. CONCLUSION: E-cadherin is strongly expressed in prostatic bone metastases and the degree of expression appears to reflect local tumour grade. This suggests that loss of E-cadherin expression may not be critically linked to metastatic potential.
CitationParadoxical expression of E-cadherin in prostatic bone metastases. 1999, 84 (9):1032-4 BJU Int.
- E-cadherin and beta-catenin are down-regulated in prostatic bone metastases.
- Authors: Bryden AA, Hoyland JA, Freemont AJ, Clarke NW, Schembri Wismayer D, George NJ
- Issue date: 2002 Mar
- Overexpression of E-cadherin and beta-catenin proteins in metastatic prostate cancer cells in bone.
- Authors: Saha B, Arase A, Imam SS, Tsao-Wei D, Naritoku WY, Groshen S, Jones LW, Imam SA
- Issue date: 2008 Jan 1
- E-cadherin expression in prostate cancer: a broad survey using high-density tissue microarray technology.
- Authors: Rubin MA, Mucci NR, Figurski J, Fecko A, Pienta KJ, Day ML
- Issue date: 2001 Jul
- Unmethylated E-cadherin gene expression is significantly associated with metastatic human prostate cancer cells in bone.
- Authors: Saha B, Kaur P, Tsao-Wei D, Naritoku WY, Groshen S, Datar RH, Jones LW, Imam SA
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 1
- Expression of the cellular adhesion molecule E-cadherin is reduced or absent in high-grade prostate cancer.
- Authors: Umbas R, Schalken JA, Aalders TW, Carter BS, Karthaus HF, Schaafsma HE, Debruyne FM, Isaacs WB
- Issue date: 1992 Sep 15