Leptin binding activity changes with age: the link between leptin and puberty.
AuthorsQuinton, N D
Smith, R F
Clayton, Peter E
Gill, M S
Shalet, Stephen M
Justice, S K
Simon, S A
Postel-Vinay, M C
Blakemore, A I
Ross, R J
AffiliationThe Division of Clinical Sciences, Sheffield University, Biomedical Research Centre, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe timing of the physical transition from child to adult is determined by a biological clock that switches off the pituitary gonadal axis during infancy until puberty. Body composition (and in particular, fat mass), through leptin, are critical signals to this clock. However, no direct relationship between leptin and puberty has been demonstrated. Leptin is bound in the circulation by a high-affinity binding protein, which has been identified as a soluble leptin receptor. We found circulating levels of leptin binding activity (LBA) to be low at birth, to be high in the prepubertal years, to fall through puberty, and then to remain stable during adult life. LBA correlated with pubertal status in both boys and girls. We postulate that the fall in LBA, associated with increasing age and puberty, reflects a reduction in expression of truncated leptin receptors, and leptin is then available to the full-length receptor, which transmits the biological signal for leptin. The high levels of LBA occur during the years when the pituitary gonadal axis is quiescent. Thus, the change in LBA could explain how leptin regulates puberty.
CitationLeptin binding activity changes with age: the link between leptin and puberty. 1999, 84 (7):2336-41 J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab.
JournalThe Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Circulating soluble leptin receptor and free leptin index during childhood, puberty, and adolescence.
- Authors: Kratzsch J, Lammert A, Bottner A, Seidel B, Mueller G, Thiery J, Hebebrand J, Kiess W
- Issue date: 2002 Oct
- The role of leptin in female adolescence.
- Authors: Apter D
- Issue date: 2003 Nov
- Effect of puberty on the relationship between circulating leptin and body composition.
- Authors: Horlick MB, Rosenbaum M, Nicolson M, Levine LS, Fedun B, Wang J, Pierson RN Jr, Leibel RL
- Issue date: 2000 Jul
- Serum leptin through childhood and adolescence.
- Authors: Clayton PE, Gill MS, Hall CM, Tillmann V, Whatmore AJ, Price DA
- Issue date: 1997 Jun
- Serum leptin levels in normal children: relationship to age, gender, body mass index, pituitary-gonadal hormones, and pubertal stage.
- Authors: Garcia-Mayor RV, Andrade MA, Rios M, Lage M, Dieguez C, Casanueva FF
- Issue date: 1997 Sep