Scatter factor influences the formation of prostate epithelial cell colonies on bone marrow stroma in vitro.
AffiliationCRC Section of Haemopoietic Cell and Gene Therapeutics, Patterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProstate cancer metastases form selectively in the bone marrow. Previously we demonstrated motility was important for the formation of primary prostatic epithelial cell colonies in bone marrow stroma (BMS) co-culture. In this study we looked at the influence of motility factors on the colony formation of epithelial cells derived from benign (bPEC) or malignant (mPEC) prostate tissue. After 7 days co-culture we found that anti-scatter factor consistently inhibited prostate epithelial cell colony formation on BMS (7/7 mPEC and 4/7 bPEC samples showed significant inhibition). Antibodies against bFGF and 5T4 did not significantly affect colony formation. Addition of fibroblast conditioned media (derived from benign prostates) to co-cultures stimulated the colony formation of bPEC (170%) and mPEC (252%). This stimulation was eliminated by depletion of SF from the conditioned media. Immunohistochemical staining found c-Met expression in 5/6 bPEC cultures and 7/9 mPEC cultures. When grown in BMS co-culture expression of c-Met was positive in 3/6 bPEC and 2/7 mPEC samples. In conclusion, scatter factor influences the in vitro formation of prostate epithelial cell colonies on BMS co-culture.
CitationScatter factor influences the formation of prostate epithelial cell colonies on bone marrow stroma in vitro. 1999, 17 (4):333-40 Clin. Exp. Metastasis
JournalClinical & Experimental Metastasis
- Interaction of prostate epithelial cells from benign and malignant tumor tissue with bone-marrow stroma.
- Authors: Lang SH, Clarke NW, George NJ, Allen TD, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1998 Feb 15
- Normal and malignant prostate epithelial cells differ in their response to hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor.
- Authors: Gmyrek GA, Walburg M, Webb CP, Yu HM, You X, Vaughan ED, Vande Woude GF, Knudsen BS
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- A human prostatic stromal myofibroblast cell line WPMY-1: a model for stromal-epithelial interactions in prostatic neoplasia.
- Authors: Webber MM, Trakul N, Thraves PS, Bello-DeOcampo D, Chu WW, Storto PD, Huard TK, Rhim JS, Williams DE
- Issue date: 1999 Jul
- Induction of hepatocyte growth factor in fibroblasts by tumor-derived factors affects invasive growth of tumor cells: in vitro analysis of tumor-stromal interactions.
- Authors: Nakamura T, Matsumoto K, Kiritoshi A, Tano Y, Nakamura T
- Issue date: 1997 Aug 1
- Interactions of human prostatic epithelial cells with bone marrow endothelium: binding and invasion.
- Authors: Scott LJ, Clarke NW, George NJ, Shanks JH, Testa NG, Lang SH
- Issue date: 2001 May 18