Scatter factor influences the formation of prostate epithelial cell colonies on bone marrow stroma in vitro.
AffiliationCRC Section of Haemopoietic Cell and Gene Therapeutics, Patterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProstate cancer metastases form selectively in the bone marrow. Previously we demonstrated motility was important for the formation of primary prostatic epithelial cell colonies in bone marrow stroma (BMS) co-culture. In this study we looked at the influence of motility factors on the colony formation of epithelial cells derived from benign (bPEC) or malignant (mPEC) prostate tissue. After 7 days co-culture we found that anti-scatter factor consistently inhibited prostate epithelial cell colony formation on BMS (7/7 mPEC and 4/7 bPEC samples showed significant inhibition). Antibodies against bFGF and 5T4 did not significantly affect colony formation. Addition of fibroblast conditioned media (derived from benign prostates) to co-cultures stimulated the colony formation of bPEC (170%) and mPEC (252%). This stimulation was eliminated by depletion of SF from the conditioned media. Immunohistochemical staining found c-Met expression in 5/6 bPEC cultures and 7/9 mPEC cultures. When grown in BMS co-culture expression of c-Met was positive in 3/6 bPEC and 2/7 mPEC samples. In conclusion, scatter factor influences the in vitro formation of prostate epithelial cell colonies on BMS co-culture.
CitationScatter factor influences the formation of prostate epithelial cell colonies on bone marrow stroma in vitro. 1999, 17 (4):333-40 Clin. Exp. Metastasis
JournalClinical & Experimental Metastasis
- Interactions of human prostatic epithelial cells with bone marrow endothelium: binding and invasion.
- Authors: Scott LJ, Clarke NW, George NJ, Shanks JH, Testa NG, Lang SH
- Issue date: 2001 May 18
- In vitro modelling of epithelial and stromal interactions in non-malignant and malignant prostates.
- Authors: Lang SH, Stower M, Maitland NJ
- Issue date: 2000 Feb
- Normal and malignant prostate epithelial cells differ in their response to hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor.
- Authors: Gmyrek GA, Walburg M, Webb CP, Yu HM, You X, Vaughan ED, Vande Woude GF, Knudsen BS
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- Hepatocyte growth factor is a paracrine regulator of rat prostate epithelial growth.
- Authors: Kasai S, Sugimura K, Matsumoto K, Nishi N, Kishimoto T, Nakamura T
- Issue date: 1996 Nov 12
- Hepatocyte growth factor supports androgen stimulation of growth of mouse ventral prostate epithelial cells in collagen gel matrix culture.
- Authors: Sasaki M, Enami J
- Issue date: 1999