Myofibroblastoma of breast: evidence favoring smooth-muscle rather than myofibroblastic differentiation.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie Hospital National Health Service Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA histopathological study of two cases of the tumor known in the literature as myofibroblastoma of the breast is presented. The tumors occurred in Caucasian males aged 57 and 62 years. Histologically, these were moderately cellular, lobulated spindle-cell lesions, each with a reasonably well-delineated edge with surrounding fatty connective tissue. No breast ducts or lobules were present. Tumor cell nuclei were bland, with small nucleoli and some nuclear grooving. Nuclear atypia and mitoses were absent. Immunostaining revealed positivity for a-smooth-muscle actin, desmin, and CD34. Tumor cells contained rough endoplasmic reticulum, bundles of myofilaments with focal densities, intermediate filaments, attachment plaques alternating with plasmalemmal caveolae, and focal lamina. Ultrastructural findings pointed to true smooth-muscle differentiation, and the cell-surface in particular lacked surface features of myofibroblasts (fibronectin fibrils [microtendons] and fibronexus junctions). These and published data suggest that at least some of the lesions referred to in the literature as myofibroblastoma may not be myofibroblastic and may be better designated as myogenic stromal tumors or as variants of leiomyoma.
CitationMyofibroblastoma of breast: evidence favoring smooth-muscle rather than myofibroblastic differentiation., 23 (4):249-57 Ultrastruct Pathol
- Intranodal myofibroblastoma: study of a case suggesting smooth-muscle differentiation.
- Authors: Eyden B, Chorneyko KA
- Issue date: 2001 Jan-Apr
- The myofibroblast: an assessment of controversial issues and a definition useful in diagnosis and research.
- Authors: Eyden B
- Issue date: 2001 Jan-Feb
- Electron microscopy in the study of myofibroblastic lesions.
- Authors: Eyden B
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- Intranodal myofibroblastoma: report of a case.
- Authors: Eyden BP, Harris M, Greywoode GI, Christensen L, Banerjee SS
- Issue date: 1996 Jan-Feb
- H-caldesmon expression in myofibroblastoma of the breast: evidence supporting the distinction from leiomyoma.
- Authors: Magro G, Gurrera A, Bisceglia M
- Issue date: 2003 Mar