Gonadotrophin-releasing hormone analogues: a novel treatment for premenstrual asthma.
AffiliationDept of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPremenstrual exacerbation of asthma, as reflected by a reduction in peak expiratory flow rate (PEFR), has been demonstrated in 40-100% of female asthmatics. Epidemiological data demonstrate that admission to hospital with an exacerbation of asthma occurs more frequently perimenstrually. Therapeutic interventions aimed at modifying this precipitating factor, however, remain limited. We report on a 32-yr old female with asthma in whom a marked increase in symptoms and reduction in PEFR occurred premenstrually, necessitating recurrent admissions to hospital. Frequent severe exacerbations resulted in the chronic use of oral maintenance corticosteroids. In order to suppress gonadotrophin secretion and ovarian function, a long-acting gonadotrophin-releasing hormone analogue was administered with a view to inducing a reversible menopause. This resulted in improvement in respiratory symptoms, the absence of PEFR dips premenstrually, a reduction in maintenance prednisolone dosage and no further hospital admissions during a follow-up period of 14 months. The authors propose that gonadotrophin-releasing hormone-analogue therapy is a rational and innovative adjuvant treatment worthy of further study in cases of severe premenstrual asthma.
CitationGonadotrophin-releasing hormone analogues: a novel treatment for premenstrual asthma. 1999, 14 (4):966-7 Eur. Respir. J.
JournalThe European Respiratory Journal
- Severe premenstrual exacerbations of asthma: effect of intramuscular progesterone.
- Authors: Beynon HL, Garbett ND, Barnes PJ
- Issue date: 1988 Aug 13
- Premenstrual asthma: the effect of estrogen on symptoms, pulmonary function, and beta 2-receptors.
- Authors: Chandler MH, Schuldheisz S, Phillips BA, Muse KN
- Issue date: 1997 Mar-Apr
- Leukotriene receptor antagonists: a good choice in the treatment of premenstrual asthma?
- Authors: Pasaoglu G, Mungan D, Abadoglu O, Misirligil Z
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Long-acting bronchodilators in premenstrual exacerbation of asthma.
- Authors: Magadle R, Berar-Yanay N, Weiner P
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Premenstrual asthma: epidemiology, pathogenesis and treatment.
- Authors: Tan KS
- Issue date: 2001