Early investigation and initiation of therapy for invasive pulmonary aspergillosis in leukaemic and bone marrow transplant patients.
AffiliationPublic Health Laboratory, Withington Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInvasive fungal infections are an increasingly common problem in cancer patients and in other vulnerable groups. Invasive pulmonary aspergillosis (IPA) in the neutropenic host presents particular challenges in terms of diagnosis and therapy. Against the background of a recognized problem of invasive aspergillosis in haematology/oncology patients treated at the Christie Hospital, we undertook a prospective study in patients at risk for IPA. The aim of the study was to improve outcome by using the linked strategies of first, early diagnosis, and secondly, early aggressive therapy with a lipid-associated formulation of amphotericin B, amphotericin B colloidal dispersion ('Amphocil'). Early investigation comprised the use of high-resolution computerized tomography scanning of the thorax and fibreoptic bronchoscopy to obtain bronchoalveolar lavage specimens, processed using conventional detection and culture methods. Using this approach, the incidence of proven or probable IPA in patients with acute leukaemia was 9%. Prompt initiation of amphotericin B colloidal dispersion therapy led to a successful outcome in 11 of 13 patients, compared with a mortality of 100% in historical controls.
CitationEarly investigation and initiation of therapy for invasive pulmonary aspergillosis in leukaemic and bone marrow transplant patients. 1999, 42 (5-6):403-8 Mycoses
- Use of amphotericin B aerosols for the prevention of pulmonary aspergillosis.
- Authors: Beyer J, Schwartz S, Barzen G, Risse G, Dullenkopf K, Weyer C, Siegert W
- Issue date: 1994 Mar-Apr
- Invasive pulmonary aspergillosis prior to BMT in acute leukemia patients does not predict a poor outcome.
- Authors: Richard C, Romón I, Baro J, Insunza A, Loyola I, Zurbano F, Tapia M, Iriondo A, Conde E, Zubizarreta A
- Issue date: 1993 Sep
- Autologous bone marrow transplantation is feasible in patients with a prior history of invasive pulmonary aspergillosis.
- Authors: Michailov G, Laporte JP, Lesage S, Fouillard L, Isnard F, Noel-Walter MP, Jouet JP, Najman A, Gorin NC
- Issue date: 1996 Apr
- Invasive pulmonary aspergillosis in neutropenic patients during hospital construction: before and after chemoprophylaxis and institution of HEPA filters.
- Authors: Oren I, Haddad N, Finkelstein R, Rowe JM
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Invasive pulmonary aspergillosis following bone marrow transplantation: risk factors and diagnostic aspect.
- Authors: Soubani AO, Qureshi MA
- Issue date: 2002