Customised compensation using intensity modulated beams delivered by dynamic multileaf collimation.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: This paper describes the development of customised compensation by intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), delivered by dynamic application of a multileaf collimator (MLC), in order to improve dose homogeneity in treatments of the pelvic region. The introduction of this simple IMRT procedure will help facilitate the clinical implementation of more complex 3D conformal therapy techniques. MATERIALS AND METHOD: Computer software is used to generate profiles of the intensity modulated beams which are required to deliver a uniform dose in a plane, passing through the isocentre and normal to the beam axis, under an irregular surface contour. These profiles are then operated on by interpreter software which determines the leaf trajectories that are necessary to deliver these beam profiles using a single, unidirectional sweep of the MLC leaves. A full dose calculation based on the calculated leaf positions is subsequently performed, allowing further fine adjustments to the modulation where required. RESULTS AND CONCLUSION: The compensation procedure has been successfully tested using films placed under a test phantom. The effect of the compensation procedure on dose distributions in the transverse plane has been investigated using an anthropomorphic phantom. Overall dose homogeneity has been improved through the use of customised compensation delivered by dynamic multileaf collimation.
CitationCustomised compensation using intensity modulated beams delivered by dynamic multileaf collimation. 1999, 53 (1):59-65 Radiother Oncol
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Design of a fast multileaf collimator for radiobiological optimized IMRT with scanned beams of photons, electrons, and light ions.
- Authors: Svensson R, Larsson S, Gudowska I, Holmberg R, Brahme A
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Conformal radiation treatment of prostate cancer using inversely-planned intensity-modulated photon beams produced with dynamic multileaf collimation.
- Authors: Ling CC, Burman C, Chui CS, Kutcher GJ, Leibel SA, LoSasso T, Mohan R, Bortfeld T, Reinstein L, Spirou S, Wang XH, Wu Q, Zelefsky M, Fuks Z
- Issue date: 1996 Jul 1
- Clinical implementation of intensity-modulated arc therapy.
- Authors: Yu CX, Li XA, Ma L, Chen D, Naqvi S, Shepard D, Sarfaraz M, Holmes TW, Suntharalingam M, Mansfield CM
- Issue date: 2002 Jun 1
- Planning, delivery, and quality assurance of intensity-modulated radiotherapy using dynamic multileaf collimator: a strategy for large-scale implementation for the treatment of carcinoma of the prostate.
- Authors: Burman C, Chui CS, Kutcher G, Leibel S, Zelefsky M, LoSasso T, Spirou S, Wu Q, Yang J, Stein J, Mohan R, Fuks Z, Ling CC
- Issue date: 1997 Nov 1
- Algorithms for optimal sequencing of dynamic multileaf collimators.
- Authors: Kamath S, Sahni S, Palta J, Ranka S
- Issue date: 2004 Jan 7