Small cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix: a clinicopathological review.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall cell carcinoma of the cervix is rare, with an aggressive natural history. We report on a series of 11 patients treated at the Christie Hospital, Manchester and examine their treatment and survival. Eleven patients with small cell carcinoma of the cervix were identified retrospectively from patient case notes. Treatment was individualised and included a variety of combinations of surgery radiotherapy and chemotherapy. Four patients were disease-free between 21 and 108 months (crude disease-free survival 36%). They presented with earlier disease and were older than the average for the group. They were all initially treated with radical radiotherapy. 7 patients died between 7 and 25 months. Despite combination chemotherapy, survival with advanced disease was poor. Published studies are small and fail to provide definitive answers on the best management of small cell carcinoma of the cervix. Drawing on the experience of small cell carcinoma of the lung however, combination therapy with radiotherapy, chemotherapy and possibly surgery requires careful assessment by an oncologist.
CitationSmall cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix: a clinicopathological review. 1999, 14 (2):381-6 Int. J. Oncol.
JournalInternational Journal of Oncology
- Treatment resistant small cell carcinoma of the cervix.
- Authors: McGarry RC, Smith C, Seemayer TA
- Issue date: 1999 Nov
- Extrapulmonary small-cell carcinoma: a single-institution experience.
- Authors: Kim JH, Lee SH, Park J, Kim HY, Lee SI, Nam EM, Park JO, Kim K, Jung CW, Im YH, Kang WK, Lee MH, Park K
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Short duration neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy for advanced carcinoma of the cervix: results and prognostic variables.
- Authors: Seoud M, Geara FB, Shamseddine A, Salem Z, Khalil A
- Issue date: 2003
- [Extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma in 52 patients].
- Authors: Yuan ZY, Guan ZZ, Zhou ZM, Xia Y, Huang WZ, Yang XL
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the cervix: Analysis of outcome, recurrence pattern and the impact of platinum-based combination chemotherapy.
- Authors: Zivanovic O, Leitao MM Jr, Park KJ, Zhao H, Diaz JP, Konner J, Alektiar K, Chi DS, Abu-Rustum NR, Aghajanian C
- Issue date: 2009 Mar