The effect of anastrozole on the pharmacokinetics of tamoxifen in post-menopausal women with early breast cancer.
Tobias, J S
Blackman, G M
Von Euler, M
AffiliationAcademic Department of Biochemistry, Royal Marsden Hospital, London, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThirty-four post-menopausal women with early breast cancer who had received 20 mg tamoxifen once daily as adjuvant therapy for at least 10 weeks participated in a randomized, double-blind, parallel-group, multicentre trial. The primary aim of the trial was to determine the effect of anastrozole upon tamoxifen pharmacokinetics, with secondary aims of assessing the tolerability of the two drugs in combination and whether or not tamoxifen had any effect upon the oestradiol suppression seen with anastrozole. Patients were randomized to receive either 1 mg anastrozole (16 patients) or matching placebo (18 patients) once daily on a double-blind basis for 28 days. No significant difference (P = 0.919) was observed in serum tamoxifen concentrations between the anastrozole and placebo groups during the trial. The serum concentration of oestradiol was significantly suppressed (P < 0.0001) in patients co-administered anastrozole compared with placebo in the presence of tamoxifen, confirming that anastrozole remained an effective suppressant of oestradiol in the presence of tamoxifen. The combination of tamoxifen and anastrozole was well tolerated, with very little difference in side-effects reported between anastrozole and placebo. In conclusion, the results of this study confirm that anastrozole does not affect the pharmacokinetics of tamoxifen when the two drugs are given in combination to post-menopausal women with early breast cancer. In addition, the oestradiol suppressant effects of anastrozole appear unaffected by tamoxifen.
CitationThe effect of anastrozole on the pharmacokinetics of tamoxifen in post-menopausal women with early breast cancer. 1999, 79 (2):311-5 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Pharmacokinetics of anastrozole and tamoxifen alone, and in combination, during adjuvant endocrine therapy for early breast cancer in postmenopausal women: a sub-protocol of the 'Arimidex and tamoxifen alone or in combination' (ATAC) trial.
- Authors: Dowsett M, Cuzick J, Howell A, Jackson I, ATAC Trialists' Group.
- Issue date: 2001 Aug 3
- Neoadjuvant treatment of postmenopausal breast cancer with anastrozole, tamoxifen, or both in combination: the Immediate Preoperative Anastrozole, Tamoxifen, or Combined with Tamoxifen (IMPACT) multicenter double-blind randomized trial.
- Authors: Smith IE, Dowsett M, Ebbs SR, Dixon JM, Skene A, Blohmer JU, Ashley SE, Francis S, Boeddinghaus I, Walsh G, IMPACT Trialists Group.
- Issue date: 2005 Aug 1
- Exploratory study of drug plasma levels during bicalutamide 150 mg therapy co-administered with tamoxifen or anastrozole for prophylaxis of gynecomastia and breast pain in men with prostate cancer.
- Authors: Boccardo F, Rubagotti A, Conti G, Potenzoni D, Manganelli A, Del Monaco D
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Extended adjuvant therapy with anastrozole among postmenopausal breast cancer patients: results from the randomized Austrian Breast and Colorectal Cancer Study Group Trial 6a.
- Authors: Jakesz R, Greil R, Gnant M, Schmid M, Kwasny W, Kubista E, Mlineritsch B, Tausch C, Stierer M, Hofbauer F, Renner K, Dadak C, Rücklinger E, Samonigg H, Austrian Breast and Colorectal Cancer Study Group.
- Issue date: 2007 Dec 19
- Switching to anastrozole versus continued tamoxifen treatment of early breast cancer: preliminary results of the Italian Tamoxifen Anastrozole Trial.
- Authors: Boccardo F, Rubagotti A, Puntoni M, Guglielmini P, Amoroso D, Fini A, Paladini G, Mesiti M, Romeo D, Rinaldini M, Scali S, Porpiglia M, Benedetto C, Restuccia N, Buzzi F, Franchi R, Massidda B, Distante V, Amadori D, Sismondi P
- Issue date: 2005 Aug 1