The performance of a fluoroscopic electronic portal imaging device modified for portability.
AffiliationChristie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAdvances in external beam therapy technology have made routine, efficient conformal therapy a reality. With it comes the increasing need for online treatment verification, which is only achievable at present through the use of electronic portal imaging devices (EPIDs). For a large radiotherapy centre, the provision of one EPID per treatment machine proves extremely expensive. This paper details modifications to the design of a commercial fluoroscopic EPID (the SRI-100) to produce a portable system, capable of providing quick, high quality imaging on more than one treatment machine. We describe the necessary hardware and software changes made to the system, as well as the variety of mechanical and quality control checks performed for testing the stability and quality of the imaging. The modified system has been found to be both electronically and mechanically robust, with associated image quality, scaling, distortion and movement similar to other EPIDs in the department. Although the modification was designed specifically to allow for the acquisition of images from multiple treatment machines, it may also enable the operation of the EPID for other uses such as total body irradiation (TBI) treatment verification and a further range of quality control procedures on the linear accelerator itself.
CitationThe performance of a fluoroscopic electronic portal imaging device modified for portability. 1999, 72 (862):1000-5 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- A literature review of electronic portal imaging for radiotherapy dosimetry.
- Authors: van Elmpt W, McDermott L, Nijsten S, Wendling M, Lambin P, Mijnheer B
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Development of a one-stop beam verification system using electronic portal imaging devices for routine quality assurance.
- Authors: Lim S, Ma SY, Jeung TS, Yi BY, Lee SH, Lee S, Cho SJ, Choi J
- Issue date: 2012 Autumn
- Use of an amorphous silicon electronic portal imaging device for multileaf collimator quality control and calibration.
- Authors: Baker SJ, Budgell GJ, MacKay RI
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 7
- The electronic portal imaging system Siemens Beamview Plus versus the conventional verification films CEA-TVS and DuPont COL-7. A critical appraisal of visual image quality.
- Authors: Gagel B, Schramm O, Harms W, Mulhern A, Wenz F, van Kampen M, Wannenmacher M, Eble MJ
- Issue date: 2002 Aug
- Evaluation of electronic portal imaging device for missing tissue compensator design and verification.
- Authors: Roback DM, Gerbi BJ
- Issue date: 1995 Dec