Phase III study of pemetrexed plus carboplatin compared with etoposide plus carboplatin in chemotherapy-naive patients with extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer.
AuthorsSocinski, Mark A
Lorigan, Paul C
Karaseva, Nina A
Obasaju, Coleman K
Guba, Susan C
AffiliationLineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: Following a phase II trial in which pemetrexed-platinum demonstrated similar activity to that of historical etoposide-platinum controls, a phase III study was conducted to compare pemetrexed-carboplatin with etoposide-carboplatin for the treatment of extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer (ES-SCLC). PATIENTS AND METHODS: Chemotherapy-naive patients with ES-SCLC and an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status of zero to 2 were randomly assigned to receive pemetrexed-carboplatin (pemetrexed 500 mg/m(2) on day 1; carboplatin at area under the serum concentration-time curve [AUC] 5 on day 1) or etoposide-carboplatin (etoposide 100 mg/m(2) on days 1 through 3; carboplatin AUC 5 on day 1) every 3 weeks for up to six cycles. The primary objective of the study was noninferiority of pemetrexed-carboplatin overall survival with a 15% margin. RESULTS: Accrual was terminated with 908 of 1,820 patients enrolled after results of a planned interim analysis. In the final analysis, pemetrexed-carboplatin was inferior to etoposide-carboplatin for overall survival (median, 8.1 v 10.6 months; hazard ratio [HR],1.56; 95% CI, 1.27 to 1.92; log-rank P < .01) and progression-free survival (median, 3.8 v 5.4 months; HR, 1.85; 95% CI, 1.58 to 2.17; log-rank P < .01). Objective response rates were also significantly lower for pemetrexed-carboplatin (31% v 52%; P < .001). Pemetrexed-carboplatin had lower grade 3 to 4 neutropenia, febrile neutropenia, and leukopenia than etoposide-carboplatin; grade 3 to 4 thrombocytopenia was comparable between arms and anemia was higher in the pemetrexed-carboplatin arm. CONCLUSION: Pemetrexed-carboplatin is inferior for the treatment of ES-SCLC. Planned translational research and pharmacogenomic analyses of tumor and blood samples may help explain the study results and provide insight into new treatment strategies.
CitationPhase III study of pemetrexed plus carboplatin compared with etoposide plus carboplatin in chemotherapy-naive patients with extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer. 2009, 27 (28):4787-92 J. Clin. Oncol.
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Randomized phase II trial of pemetrexed combined with either cisplatin or carboplatin in untreated extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Socinski MA, Weissman C, Hart LL, Beck JT, Choksi JK, Hanson JP, Prager D, Monberg MJ, Ye Z, Obasaju CK
- Issue date: 2006 Oct 20
- Randomized phase II and pharmacogenetic study of pemetrexed compared with pemetrexed plus carboplatin in pretreated patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Smit EF, Burgers SA, Biesma B, Smit HJ, Eppinga P, Dingemans AM, Joerger M, Schellens JH, Vincent A, van Zandwijk N, Groen HJ
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 20
- Concomitant chemoradiotherapy using pemetrexed and carboplatin for unresectable stage III non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): preliminary results of a phase II study.
- Authors: Xu Y, Ma S, Ji Y, Sun X, Jiang H, Chen J, Du X, Zheng Y, Qiu G
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- A phase I trial of carboplatin and etoposide for elderly (>or=75 year-old) patients with small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Fukuda M, Soda H, Soejima Y, Fukuda M, Kinoshita A, Takatani H, Kasai T, Nagashima S, Kawabata S, Doi S, Kohno S, Oka M
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Phase II study of pemetrexed and carboplatin plus bevacizumab with maintenance pemetrexed and bevacizumab as first-line therapy for nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Patel JD, Hensing TA, Rademaker A, Hart EM, Blum MG, Milton DT, Bonomi PD
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 10