The transcription factor Atf1 binds and activates the APC/C ubiquitin ligase in fission yeast.
AffiliationCell Cycle Control Laboratory, Marie Curie Research Institute, The Chart, Oxted, Surrey RH8 0TL, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFission yeast Atf1 is a member of the ATF/CREB basic leucine zipper (bZIP) family of transcription factors with strong homology to mammalian ATF2. Atf1 regulates transcription in response to stress stimuli and also plays a role in controlling heterochromatin formation and recombination. However, its DNA binding independent role is poorly studied. Here, we report that Atf1 has a distinct role in regulating the anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome (APC/C) ubiquitin ligase. We have identified atf1(+) as a dose-dependent suppressor of apc5-1, a mutation causing mitotic arrest. Remarkably, the suppression is not dependent upon the bZIP domain and is therefore independent of the ability of Atf1 to bind DNA. Interestingly, Atf1 physically binds the APC/C in vivo. Furthermore, we show that addition of purified Atf1 proteins into a cell-free system stimulates ubiquitylation of cyclin B and securin by the APC/C. These results reveal a novel role for Atf1 in cell cycle control through protein-protein interaction.
CitationThe transcription factor Atf1 binds and activates the APC/C ubiquitin ligase in fission yeast. 2009, 284 (36):23989-94 J. Biol. Chem.
JournalThe Journal of Biological Chemistry
- The basic leucine zipper domain transcription factor Atf1 directly controls Cdc13 expression and regulates mitotic entry independently of Wee1 and Cdc25 in Schizosaccharomyces pombe.
- Authors: Bandyopadhyay S, Dey I, Suresh M, Sundaram G
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Interaction of APC/C-E3 ligase with Swi6/HP1 and Clr4/Suv39 in heterochromatin assembly in fission yeast.
- Authors: Dubey RN, Nakwal N, Bisht KK, Saini A, Haldar S, Singh J
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 13
- Distinct regions of ATF/CREB proteins Atf1 and Pcr1 control recombination hotspot ade6-M26 and the osmotic stress response.
- Authors: Gao J, Davidson MK, Wahls WP
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Antagonistic regulation of cyclin expression by the bZIP transcription factors Pcr1 and Atf1 during G2/M transition.
- Authors: Bandyopadhyay S, Ghosh PM, Basu S, Paul M, Alam SB, Das E, Sundaram G
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 1
- Deciphering the role of the signal- and Sty1 kinase-dependent phosphorylation of the stress-responsive transcription factor Atf1 on gene activation.
- Authors: Salat-Canela C, Paulo E, Sánchez-Mir L, Carmona M, Ayté J, Oliva B, Hidalgo E
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 18