Poly(ADP-ribose)-dependent regulation of DNA repair by the chromatin remodeling enzyme ALC1.
Polo, Sophie E
West, Stephen C
Jackson, Stephen P
Boulton, Simon J
AffiliationDNA Damage Response Laboratory, Clare Hall, London Research Institute, South Mimms EN6 3LD, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPosttranslational modifications play key roles in regulating chromatin plasticity. Although various chromatin-remodeling enzymes have been described that respond to specific histone modifications, little is known about the role of poly[adenosine 5'-diphosphate (ADP)-ribose] in chromatin remodeling. Here, we identify a chromatin-remodeling enzyme, ALC1 (Amplified in Liver Cancer 1, also known as CHD1L), that interacts with poly(ADP-ribose) and catalyzes PARP1-stimulated nucleosome sliding. Our results define ALC1 as a DNA damage-response protein whose role in this process is sustained by its association with known DNA repair factors and its rapid poly(ADP-ribose)-dependent recruitment to DNA damage sites. Furthermore, we show that depletion or overexpression of ALC1 results in sensitivity to DNA-damaging agents. Collectively, these results provide new insights into the mechanisms by which poly(ADP-ribose) regulates DNA repair.
CitationPoly(ADP-ribose)-dependent regulation of DNA repair by the chromatin remodeling enzyme ALC1. 2009, 325 (5945):1240-3 Science
- ALC1/CHD1L, a chromatin-remodeling enzyme, is required for efficient base excision repair.
- Authors: Tsuda M, Cho K, Ooka M, Shimizu N, Watanabe R, Yasui A, Nakazawa Y, Ogi T, Harada H, Agama K, Nakamura J, Asada R, Fujiike H, Sakuma T, Yamamoto T, Murai J, Hiraoka M, Koike K, Pommier Y, Takeda S, Hirota K
- Issue date: 2017
- Activation of the SNF2 family ATPase ALC1 by poly(ADP-ribose) in a stable ALC1·PARP1·nucleosome intermediate.
- Authors: Gottschalk AJ, Trivedi RD, Conaway JW, Conaway RC
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 21
- The poly(ADP-ribose)-dependent chromatin remodeler Alc1 induces local chromatin relaxation upon DNA damage.
- Authors: Sellou H, Lebeaupin T, Chapuis C, Smith R, Hegele A, Singh HR, Kozlowski M, Bultmann S, Ladurner AG, Timinszky G, Huet S
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 1
- A Poly-ADP-Ribose Trigger Releases the Auto-Inhibition of a Chromatin Remodeling Oncogene.
- Authors: Singh HR, Nardozza AP, Möller IR, Knobloch G, Kistemaker HAV, Hassler M, Harrer N, Blessing C, Eustermann S, Kotthoff C, Huet S, Mueller-Planitz F, Filippov DV, Timinszky G, Rand KD, Ladurner AG
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 7
- PARP1 promotes nucleotide excision repair through DDB2 stabilization and recruitment of ALC1.
- Authors: Pines A, Vrouwe MG, Marteijn JA, Typas D, Luijsterburg MS, Cansoy M, Hensbergen P, Deelder A, de Groot A, Matsumoto S, Sugasawa K, Thoma N, Vermeulen W, Vrieling H, Mullenders L
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 15