P27(KIP1) expression indicates that steroid receptor-positive cells are a non-proliferating, differentiated subpopulation of the normal human breast epithelium.
AffiliationClinical Research Department, Christie Hospital, M20 4BX, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo test the hypothesis that steroid receptor-expressing cells are derived from the proliferative population, we examined expression of the p27(KIP1) inhibitor of cyclin-dependent kinase activity (a differentiation marker) while tracking the fate of proliferating cells in normal human breast tissue implanted into athymic nude mice using tritiated thymidine [3H]-dT. We identified a small number of cells that appeared to have divided just once before switching on p27(KIP1) expression. p27(KIP1)+ve cells also expressed steroid receptors, but not the Ki67 proliferation-associated antigen. These data support the hypothesis that steroid receptor-expressing cells are a differentiated population within the normal human breast epithelium.
CitationP27(KIP1) expression indicates that steroid receptor-positive cells are a non-proliferating, differentiated subpopulation of the normal human breast epithelium. 2000, 36 Suppl 4:S28-9 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Expression patterns of p27Kip1 and Ki-67 in cholesteatoma epithelium.
- Authors: Chae SW, Song JJ, Suh HK, Jung HH, Lim HH, Hwang SJ
- Issue date: 2000 Nov
- Proliferation in HHV-8-positive primary effusion lymphomas is associated with expression of HHV-8 cyclin but independent of p27(kip1).
- Authors: Carbone A, Gloghini A, Bontempo D, Monini P, Tirelli U, Volpe R, Browning PJ, Gaidano G
- Issue date: 2000 Apr
- High level expression of p27(kip1) and cyclin D1 in some human breast cancer cells: inverse correlation between the expression of p27(kip1) and degree of malignancy in human breast and colorectal cancers.
- Authors: Fredersdorf S, Burns J, Milne AM, Packham G, Fallis L, Gillett CE, Royds JA, Peston D, Hall PA, Hanby AM, Barnes DM, Shousha S, O'Hare MJ, Lu X
- Issue date: 1997 Jun 10
- Elevated cyclin E levels, inactive retinoblastoma protein, and suppression of the p27(KIP1) inhibitor characterize early development of promyeloid cells into macrophages.
- Authors: Liu Q, VanHoy RW, Zhou JH, Dantzer R, Freund GG, Kelley KW
- Issue date: 1999 Sep
- Altered expression of cell cycle proteins and prolonged duration of cardiac myocyte hyperplasia in p27KIP1 knockout mice.
- Authors: Poolman RA, Li JM, Durand B, Brooks G
- Issue date: 1999 Jul 23