Elevated serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-II and IGF binding protein-2 in patients with colorectal cancer.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, M20 4BX.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study explored the relationships of serum insulin-like growth factors, IGF-I and IGF-II, and their binding proteins (IGFBP)-2 and IGFBP-3, with key clinicopathological parameters in 92 patients with colorectal cancer (cases). Comparisons were made with 57 individuals who had a normal colonoscopy (controls). Serial changes were examined in 27 cases. As IGF-related peptides are age- and sex-dependent, absolute concentrations were converted to standard deviation scores (SDS). Mean IGF-II SDS were elevated in Dukes A (n = 12, P< 0.001) and Dukes B (n = 25, P< 0.001) cases compared with controls, but not in advanced disease. Compared with controls, mean IGFBP-2 SDS were significantly elevated in patients with Dukes B (P< 0.001), Dukes C (n = 13, P< 0.001) and advanced disease (n = 42, P< 0.0001), with a significant trend from early to advanced disease (one-way ANOVA, P< 0.001). Furthermore, IGFBP-2 SDS were positively related to tumour size (P = 0.01) and fell significantly in patients following curative resection (P = 0.04), suggesting that circulating levels reflect tumour load. We tested the potential tumour marker characteristics of IGFBP-2 SDS against three endpoints: metastasis alone; local pelvic recurrence alone; and metastasis and recurrence combined. The sensitivities for IGFBP-2 alone (>/= + 2SD) were modest at 55%, 46%, and 52%, but in combination with CEA, increased substantially to 90%, 77% and 86%, respectively. We conclude that the serum IGF-II and IGFBP-2 profiles may provide insights into underlying biological mechanisms, and that serum IGFBP-2 may have an adjunct role in cancer surveillance in patients with colorectal cancer.
CitationElevated serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-II and IGF binding protein-2 in patients with colorectal cancer. 2000, 83 (10):1344-50 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Paradoxical elevations in serum IGF-II and IGF binding protein-2 in acromegaly: insights into the regulation of these peptides.
- Authors: Renehan AG, Toogood AA, Ryder WD, Jones J, Potten CS, O'Dwyer ST, Shalet SM
- Issue date: 2001 Oct
- Increased levels of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-2 in sera and tumours from patients with colonic neoplasia with and without acromegaly.
- Authors: Miraki-Moud F, Jenkins PJ, Fairclough PD, Jordan S, Bustin SA, Jones AM, Lowe DG, Monson JP, Grossman AB, Besser GM, Camacho-Hübner C
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Analysis of insulin like growth factor 1 and insulin like growth factor binding protein 3 levels in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid and serum of patients with lung cancer.
- Authors: Unsal E, Köksal D, Yurdakul AS, Atikcan S, Cinaz P
- Issue date: 2005 May
- Levels of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) and IGF binding proteins 2 and 3 in serial postoperative serum samples and risk of prostate cancer recurrence.
- Authors: Yu H, Nicar MR, Shi R, Berkel HJ, Nam R, Trachtenberg J, Diamandis EP
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Insulin-like growth factors and prostate cancer: a population-based case-control study in China.
- Authors: Chokkalingam AP, Pollak M, Fillmore CM, Gao YT, Stanczyk FZ, Deng J, Sesterhenn IA, Mostofi FK, Fears TR, Madigan MP, Ziegler RG, Fraumeni JF Jr, Hsing AW
- Issue date: 2001 May