Elevated serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-II and IGF binding protein-2 in patients with colorectal cancer.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, M20 4BX.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study explored the relationships of serum insulin-like growth factors, IGF-I and IGF-II, and their binding proteins (IGFBP)-2 and IGFBP-3, with key clinicopathological parameters in 92 patients with colorectal cancer (cases). Comparisons were made with 57 individuals who had a normal colonoscopy (controls). Serial changes were examined in 27 cases. As IGF-related peptides are age- and sex-dependent, absolute concentrations were converted to standard deviation scores (SDS). Mean IGF-II SDS were elevated in Dukes A (n = 12, P< 0.001) and Dukes B (n = 25, P< 0.001) cases compared with controls, but not in advanced disease. Compared with controls, mean IGFBP-2 SDS were significantly elevated in patients with Dukes B (P< 0.001), Dukes C (n = 13, P< 0.001) and advanced disease (n = 42, P< 0.0001), with a significant trend from early to advanced disease (one-way ANOVA, P< 0.001). Furthermore, IGFBP-2 SDS were positively related to tumour size (P = 0.01) and fell significantly in patients following curative resection (P = 0.04), suggesting that circulating levels reflect tumour load. We tested the potential tumour marker characteristics of IGFBP-2 SDS against three endpoints: metastasis alone; local pelvic recurrence alone; and metastasis and recurrence combined. The sensitivities for IGFBP-2 alone (>/= + 2SD) were modest at 55%, 46%, and 52%, but in combination with CEA, increased substantially to 90%, 77% and 86%, respectively. We conclude that the serum IGF-II and IGFBP-2 profiles may provide insights into underlying biological mechanisms, and that serum IGFBP-2 may have an adjunct role in cancer surveillance in patients with colorectal cancer.
CitationElevated serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-II and IGF binding protein-2 in patients with colorectal cancer. 2000, 83 (10):1344-50 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Analysis of insulin like growth factor 1 and insulin like growth factor binding protein 3 levels in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid and serum of patients with lung cancer.
- Authors: Unsal E, Köksal D, Yurdakul AS, Atikcan S, Cinaz P
- Issue date: 2005 May
- Insulin-like growth factors and prostate cancer: a population-based case-control study in China.
- Authors: Chokkalingam AP, Pollak M, Fillmore CM, Gao YT, Stanczyk FZ, Deng J, Sesterhenn IA, Mostofi FK, Fears TR, Madigan MP, Ziegler RG, Fraumeni JF Jr, Hsing AW
- Issue date: 2001 May
- Insulin-like growth factor (IGF) I and II and IGF binding protein (IGFBP) 1, 2 and 3 in serum from patients with Cushing's syndrome.
- Authors: Bang P, Degerblad M, Thorén M, Schwander J, Blum W, Hall K
- Issue date: 1993 May
- Vitreous levels of the insulin-like growth factors I and II, and the insulin-like growth factor binding proteins 2 and 3, increase in neovascular eye disease. Studies in nondiabetic and diabetic subjects.
- Authors: Meyer-Schwickerath R, Pfeiffer A, Blum WF, Freyberger H, Klein M, Lösche C, Röllmann R, Schatz H
- Issue date: 1993 Dec
- Insulin-like growth factor-I and insulin are associated with the presence and advancement of adenomatous polyps.
- Authors: Schoen RE, Weissfeld JL, Kuller LH, Thaete FL, Evans RW, Hayes RB, Rosen CJ
- Issue date: 2005 Aug