Immunogenicity of vaccination against influenza, Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae type B in patients with multiple myeloma.
AuthorsRobertson, Jane D
Jowitt, S N
Scarffe, J Howard
AffiliationChristie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVaccination against influenza and Streptococcus pneumoniae is recommended for elderly and immunocompromised individuals. However, there is little information concerning the efficacy of vaccination in specific groups of patients. In this study, 52 patients underwent vaccination against influenza, S. pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) as they attended hospital outpatient clinics. Serum was analysed prior to vaccination and 4-6 weeks afterwards. Antibody titres against S. pneumoniae and Hib were compared with reference values corresponding to the geometric mean titres of a healthy UK population. For influenza vaccination, haemagglutination inhibition (HI) titres were measured against three inactivated strains; a titre of > or = 1/40 was considered protective. No patient had protective titres to all three antigens prior to vaccination and 41 patients (85%) had titres < 1/40 to all 3 strains. Post vaccination only 9/48 patients (19%) achieved protective antibody titres. Resistance to S. pneumoniae and response to Pneumovax II was also poor: prevaccination, 45 patients (93%) had suboptimal antibody titres and in 26/43 patients (61%) titres remained low post vaccination. Resistance to Hib and response to vaccination was comparable with the healthy adult UK population. These results question the practice of routine influenza and pneumococcal vaccination in myeloma patients.
CitationImmunogenicity of vaccination against influenza, Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae type B in patients with multiple myeloma. 2000, 82 (7):1261-5 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Antibody responses to pneumococcal and haemophilus vaccinations in patients with B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukaemia.
- Authors: Hartkamp A, Mulder AH, Rijkers GT, van Velzen-Blad H, Biesma DH
- Issue date: 2001 Feb 8
- Antibody responses to Haemophilus influenzae type b and Streptococcus pneumoniae vaccines in children with human immunodeficiency virus infection.
- Authors: Gibb D, Spoülou V, Giacomelli A, Griffiths H, Masters J, Misbah S, Nokes L, Pagliaro A, Giaquinto C, Kroll S
- Issue date: 1995 Feb
- Antibody response to influenza, tetanus and pneumococcal vaccines in HIV-seropositive individuals in relation to the number of CD4+ lymphocytes.
- Authors: Kroon FP, van Dissel JT, de Jong JC, van Furth R
- Issue date: 1994 Apr
- [Effect of complex vaccination against pneumococcal, Haemophilus type b infections and influenza in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease].
- Authors: Protasov AD, Zhestkov AV, Lavrenteva NE, Kostinov MP, Ryzhkov AA
- Issue date: 2011 Jul-Aug
- [Simultaneous vaccination against influenza and invasive pneumococcal disease in chronic dialysis patients].
- Authors: Trmal J, Havlícková M, Bícová R, Bitterová Z, Kelerová J
- Issue date: 2005 Aug