Irradiation induced expression of CD31, ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 in human microvascular endothelial cells.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathological Sciences, Medical School, Manchester University M13 9PT, U.K. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe adherence and migration of leukocytes through the endothelium of blood vessels is an important early event which occurs in normal tissues following ionizing irradiation but the underlying mechanisms are not fully understood. ICAM-1, VCAM-1 and CD31 are membrane proteins of endothelial cells, mediate this process when the vasculature is exposed to other inflammatory stimuli. In this study, expression of ICAM-1, VCAM-1 and CD31 on human dermal microvascular endothelial cells (HDMECs) at 72 hours post-irradiation using flow cytometry and northern analysis was determined. Dose-dependent increases in the surface expression and mRNA of ICAM-1 and CD31 were observed. In contrast VCAM-1 was practically undetectable on both control and irradiated HDMECs but was strongly expressed in TNF-alpha activated positive control HDMECs. The upregulation in ICAM-1 and CD31 was independent of radiation-induced changes in cell size, number and cell cycle stage. We suggest that ICAM-1 is active over a prolonged period whereas VCAM-1 acts only transiently in leukocyte-endothelial interactions in the irradiated microvasculature. The late upregulation of CD31 is a novel finding and may have a function in radiation-induced leukocyte extravasation, platelet adherence to the vascular wall and abnormal endothelial cell proliferation. Both ICAM-1 and CD31 seem to be therapeutic targets for the amelioration of radiation-induced normal tissue damage.
CitationIrradiation induced expression of CD31, ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 in human microvascular endothelial cells., 20 (5B):3375-81 Anticancer Res.
- Vascular activation of adhesion molecule mRNA and cell surface expression by ionizing radiation.
- Authors: Heckmann M, Douwes K, Peter R, Degitz K
- Issue date: 1998 Jan 10
- Irradiation induces upregulation of CD31 in human endothelial cells.
- Authors: Quarmby S, Kumar P, Wang J, Macro JA, Hutchinson JJ, Hunter RD, Kumar S
- Issue date: 1999 Mar
- Effects of TNF-alpha on leukocyte adhesion molecule expressions in cultured human lymphatic endothelium.
- Authors: Sawa Y, Sugimoto Y, Ueki T, Ishikawa H, Sato A, Nagato T, Yoshida S
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Expression and functional significance of adhesion molecules on cultured endothelial cells in response to ionizing radiation.
- Authors: Prabhakarpandian B, Goetz DJ, Swerlick RA, Chen X, Kiani MF
- Issue date: 2001 Oct
- Comparison of changes in endothelial adhesion molecule expression following UVB irradiation of skin and a human dermal microvascular cell line (HMEC-1).
- Authors: Rhodes LE, Joyce M, West DC, Strickland I, Friedmann PS
- Issue date: 1996 Jun