AffiliationDepartment of Urological Surgery, and Intestinal Failure Unit, Hope Hospital, Salford Royal Hospitals Trust, Salford, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To present the results of the staged management of complex entero-urinary fistulae. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Ten patients with complex entero-urinary fistulae were reviewed; all patients were referred to a national intestinal failure unit after failed treatment in other centres. Each patient was treated in three stages. The acute stage involved proximal defunctioning and distal drainage of both the gastrointestinal and urinary tracts to isolate the fistula, together with the eradication of sepsis. The recovery stage involved total parenteral nutrition, organ support, radiological planning of surgical reconstruction and intensive nursing. The reconstructive stage followed when the patient was stable, nutritionally replenished and intra-abdominal sepsis was controlled. Surgery was undertaken jointly by urological and gastrointestinal surgeons. RESULTS: The fistulae were treated successfully in all patients, with functional restoration in four, and/or diversion of the gastrointestinal and urological tracts in six. The mean (range) time to reconstruction was 5 (1-20) months. There were no postoperative deaths. CONCLUSION: A staged multidisciplinary approach with delayed reconstruction can achieve a successful outcome in the management of complex entero-urinary fistulae.
CitationThe staged management of complex entero-urinary fistulae. 2000, 86 (6):624-9 BJU Int.
- [Entero-urinary fistula].
- Authors: Bensouda A, El Hader K, Sbihi L, Benkabbou A, Karmouni T, Tazi K, Koutani A, Ibnattya Andaloussi A, Hachimi M
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Pelvic radiation is associated with urinary fistulae repair failure and need for permanent urinary diversion.
- Authors: Eswara JR, Raup VT, Heningburg AM, Brandes SB
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Diagnosis and Surgical Management of Uroenteric Fistula.
- Authors: Gill HS
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Outcomes of Medical and Surgical Therapy for Entero-urinary Fistulas in Crohn's Disease.
- Authors: Taxonera C, Barreiro-de-Acosta M, Bastida G, Martinez-Gonzalez J, Merino O, García-Sánchez V, Gisbert JP, Marín-Jiménez I, López-Serrano P, Gómez-García M, Iglesias E, Lopez-Sanroman A, Chaparro M, Saro C, Bermejo F, Pérez-Carazo L, Plaza R, Olivares D, Alba C, Mendoza JL, Fernández-Blanco I
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Treatment of high output entero-cutaneous fistulae associated with large abdominal wall defects: single center experience.
- Authors: Dionigi G, Dionigi R, Rovera F, Boni L, Padalino P, Minoja G, Cuffari S, Carrafiello G
- Issue date: 2008 Feb