Effect of high-dose ifosfamide in advanced soft tissue sarcomas. A multicentre phase II study of the EORTC Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group.
AuthorsNielsen, O S
Van Hoesel, Q
Le Cesne, A
Keizer, H J
Van Oosterom, A
Radford, John A
Van Glabbeke, Martine M
Oosterhuis, J W
AffiliationCentre for Bone and Soft Tissue Sarcomas, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this phase II study the effect of high-dose ifosfamide (HDI) given as a 3-day continuous infusion at a dose of 12 g/m2 repeated every 4 weeks with adequate mesna protection and hydration was evaluated in patients with advanced soft tissue sarcomas. A total of 124 patients entered the trial of which 10 were ineligible. HDI was given both as first-line and second-line chemotherapy. Median age was 46 years (19-66 years). Median World Health Organization (WHO) performance status was 1 (0-1). Fifty two per cent of the patients were males. The predominant histology was leiomyosarcoma (33%). A maximum of six cycles was given. At the time of analysis 55 patients have died. The partial response (PR) rate was 16%. The median time to progression was 15 weeks. 8 of the 18 responding patients (44%) had synovial sarcomas, whereas only 5% of the patients having leiomyosarcomas responded. The grade 3 + 4 haematological toxicity encountered was neutrophils in 78% and platelets in 12%. The major grade 3 + 4 non-haematological toxicities encountered were febrile neutropenia in 39%, infection in 20%, and acute renal failure in 4%. In conclusion, it is possible to administer HDI on a multicentre basis, but the toxicity is substantial. HDI given as a continuous infusion at this dose cannot be recommended as the standard treatment of advanced soft tissue sarcomas, even in selected patients.
CitationEffect of high-dose ifosfamide in advanced soft tissue sarcomas. A multicentre phase II study of the EORTC Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group. 2000, 36 (1):61-7 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Phase II study of continuous-infusion high-dose ifosfamide in advanced and/or metastatic pretreated soft tissue sarcomas.
- Authors: Palumbo R, Palmeri S, Antimi M, Gatti C, Raffo P, Villani G, Toma S
- Issue date: 1997 Nov
- Results of randomised studies of the EORTC Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group (STBSG) with two different ifosfamide regimens in first- and second-line chemotherapy in advanced soft tissue sarcoma patients.
- Authors: van Oosterom AT, Mouridsen HT, Nielsen OS, Dombernowsky P, Krzemieniecki K, Judson I, Svancarova L, Spooner D, Hermans C, Van Glabbeke M, Verweij J, EORTC Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- High-dose ifosfamide in bone and soft tissue sarcomas: results of phase II and pilot studies--dose-response and schedule dependence.
- Authors: Patel SR, Vadhan-Raj S, Papadopolous N, Plager C, Burgess MA, Hays C, Benjamin RS
- Issue date: 1997 Jun
- High-dose ifosfamide with hematopoietic growth factor support in advanced bone and soft tissue sarcomas.
- Authors: Yalcin B, Pamir A, Buyukcelik A, Utkan G, Akbulut H, Demirkazik A, Icli F
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- High-dose ifosfamide as second- or third-line chemotherapy in refractory bone and soft tissue sarcoma patients.
- Authors: Lee SH, Chang MH, Baek KK, Han B, Lim T, Lee J, Park JO
- Issue date: 2011