Successful treatment of aspergillus brain abscess in a child with acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCerebral aspergillosis carries a high mortality in immunocompromised patients. However, favorable outcome can be achieved by the prolonged use of antifungal agents and the maintenance of adequate drug levels. The authors report a 2-year-old girl who developed an aspergillus brain abscess during treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Predisposing factors for the fungal infection and details of the antifungal therapy are described. Prolonged treatment with AmBisome and 5-flucytosine successfully eradicated the lesion, but the girl's antileukemic therapy was compromised due to the infection. She developed a central nervous system and bone marrow relapse 9 and 15 months, respectively, after the initial presentation. The report emphasizes the need for further consideration of effective, long-term antifungal prophylaxis and a careful balance between aggressive treatment for severe infection and antileukemic therapy.
CitationSuccessful treatment of aspergillus brain abscess in a child with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. 2000, 17 (6):497-504 Pediatr Hematol Oncol
JournalPediatric Hematology and Oncology
- Successful treatment of aspergillus brain abscess in a child with acute lymphoblastic leukemia and liver failure.
- Authors: Sterba J, Prochazka J, Ventruba J, Kren L, Valik D, Burgetova D, Mudry P, Skotakova J, Blatny J
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Successful management of cerebral and pulmonary mucormycosis with liposomal amphotericin B in a 28-year-old woman with acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Authors: Salonen JH
- Issue date: 2006
- [A case of cerebral aspergillosis associated with induction chemotherapy for acute lymphoblastic leukemia].
- Authors: Okamoto K, Kuroiwa A, Yokoyama Y, Kamoda F, Kinumaki H, Shitara N
- Issue date: 1996 Nov
- Successful treatment with voriconazole of Aspergillus brain abscess in a boy with medulloblastoma.
- Authors: Stiefel M, Reiss T, Staege MS, Rengelshausen J, Burhenne J, Wawer A, Foell JL
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Successful outcome of aspergillus brain abscess in a patient who underwent bone marrow transplantation for aplastic anemia.
- Authors: Başlar Z, Soysal T, Hanci M, Aygün G, Ferhanoğlu B, Sarioğlu AC, Ulkü B
- Issue date: 1997