3D dynamic body surface sensing and CT-body matching: a tool for patient set-up and monitoring in radiotherapy.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecent advances in radical broad-beam conformal radiotherapy for disease at non-rigid sites suggest that the treatment room set-up of patients should be performed using the CT-plan digital body surface as a reference standard. In effect, the CT-plan surface is a "virtual shell" and should be used as such. To do this requires 3D body surface information to be captured live in the treatment room and then manipulated for comparison with the CT virtual shell. To address this situation, a near real-time prototype opto-electronic dynamic 3D surface sensor has been developed and equipped with a novel software utility for visualizing and matching the disparate surfaces arising from planning and treatment environments. Using the CT virtual shell and height-maps produced by the sensor, a two-phase 3D positioning strategy for patient set-up and monitoring is described. Phase one is an image-guided manual "approach". Phase two is automated "docking" using simulated annealing to determine optimum set-up corrections. The concepts and implementation are illustrated using archival patient data and an anthropomorphic phantom "patient" in a treatment room environment.
Citation3D dynamic body surface sensing and CT-body matching: a tool for patient set-up and monitoring in radiotherapy. 2000, 5 (4):234-45 Comput. Aided Surg.
JournalComputer Aided Surgery
- [Opto-electronic techniques and 3D body surface reconstruction for the control of patient positioning in the radiotherapy of breast cancer].
- Authors: Baroni G, Troia A, Troia A, Orecchia R, Pedotti A
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Real-time opto-electronic verification of patient position in breast cancer radiotherapy.
- Authors: Baroni G, Ferrigno G, Orecchia R, Pedotti A
- Issue date: 2000
- A neural network based method for optical patient set-up registration in breast radiotherapy.
- Authors: Frosio I, Spadea M, De Momi E, Riboldi M, Baroni G, Ferrigno G, Orecchia R, Pedotti A
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Phase I clinical evaluation of near-simultaneous computed tomographic image-guided stereotactic body radiotherapy for spinal metastases.
- Authors: Chang EL, Shiu AS, Lii MF, Rhines LD, Mendel E, Mahajan A, Weinberg JS, Mathews LA, Brown BW, Maor MH, Cox JD
- Issue date: 2004 Aug 1
- Clinical implementation of intensity-modulated arc therapy (IMAT) for rectal cancer.
- Authors: Duthoy W, De Gersem W, Vergote K, Boterberg T, Derie C, Smeets P, De Wagter C, De Neve W
- Issue date: 2004 Nov 1