3D dynamic body surface sensing and CT-body matching: a tool for patient set-up and monitoring in radiotherapy.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecent advances in radical broad-beam conformal radiotherapy for disease at non-rigid sites suggest that the treatment room set-up of patients should be performed using the CT-plan digital body surface as a reference standard. In effect, the CT-plan surface is a "virtual shell" and should be used as such. To do this requires 3D body surface information to be captured live in the treatment room and then manipulated for comparison with the CT virtual shell. To address this situation, a near real-time prototype opto-electronic dynamic 3D surface sensor has been developed and equipped with a novel software utility for visualizing and matching the disparate surfaces arising from planning and treatment environments. Using the CT virtual shell and height-maps produced by the sensor, a two-phase 3D positioning strategy for patient set-up and monitoring is described. Phase one is an image-guided manual "approach". Phase two is automated "docking" using simulated annealing to determine optimum set-up corrections. The concepts and implementation are illustrated using archival patient data and an anthropomorphic phantom "patient" in a treatment room environment.
Citation3D dynamic body surface sensing and CT-body matching: a tool for patient set-up and monitoring in radiotherapy. 2000, 5 (4):234-45 Comput. Aided Surg.
JournalComputer Aided Surgery
- [Opto-electronic techniques and 3D body surface reconstruction for the control of patient positioning in the radiotherapy of breast cancer].
- Authors: Baroni G, Troia A, Troia A, Orecchia R, Pedotti A
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Real-time opto-electronic verification of patient position in breast cancer radiotherapy.
- Authors: Baroni G, Ferrigno G, Orecchia R, Pedotti A
- Issue date: 2000
- Patient positioning using detailed three-dimensional surface data for patients undergoing conformal radiation therapy for carcinoma of the prostate: a feasibility study.
- Authors: MacKay RI, Graham PA, Logue JP, Moore CJ
- Issue date: 2001 Jan 1
- Monte Carlo as a four-dimensional radiotherapy treatment-planning tool to account for respiratory motion.
- Authors: Keall PJ, Siebers JV, Joshi S, Mohan R
- Issue date: 2004 Aug 21
- Registration of electronic portal images for patient set-up verification.
- Authors: Matsopoulos GK, Asvestas PA, Delibasis KK, Kouloulias V, Uzunoglu N, Karaiskos P, Sandilos P
- Issue date: 2004 Jul 21