AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA workload study of consultants in palliative medicine was carried out, in which a task inventory questionnaire was sent to the consultant members of the Association for Palliative Medicine of Great Britain and Ireland. The median number of hours per week worked by a palliative medicine consultant was 49.5 (mean 51.3), excluding time on-call and breaks. The median consultant first on-call roat is 1:3. Palliative medicine consultants work a median of 22.5 direct clinical and 4.5 indirect clinical hours per week. This is very similar to the hours worked by consultants in other specialties who work an average 51.3 h per week, but with a median on-call rota of 1:6. Further studies are planned to monitor the patterns of consultant activity and workload in this specialty.
CitationWhat do palliative medicine consultants do? 2000, 14 (5):405-9 Palliat Med
- Developments in rheumatology consultant manpower provision: the BSR/arc Workforce Register 2003-05.
- Authors: Harrison MJ, Morley KD, Symmons DP
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Consultant rheumatology workforce in the UK: changing patterns of provision 1997-2001.
- Authors: Turner G, Symmons D, Bamji A, Palferman T
- Issue date: 2002 Jun
- Workload and stress in consultant medical microbiologists and virologists: a questionnaire survey.
- Authors: Cartwright K, Lewis D, Roberts C, Bint A, Nichols T, Warburton F
- Issue date: 2002 Mar
- Minimum dataset activity for hospice and hospital palliative care services in the UK 1997/98.
- Authors: Eve A, Higginson IJ
- Issue date: 2000 Sep
- [Aspects of outpatient palliative care and assessment of the nursing workload. Survey among care givers in Germany].
- Authors: Prenzler A, Müller-Busch CH, Mittendorf T, Theidel U, von der Schulenburg MJ, Montag T
- Issue date: 2010 May