A protocol for preventative mastectomy in women with an increased lifetime risk of breast cancer.
AffiliationFamily History Clinic, Christie NHS Trust, Manchester, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper describes a protocol for women at high risk of breast cancer wishing to undergo preventative mastectomy. The protocol described is a holistic approach to each woman involving the use of a multidisciplinary team. The protocol takes a number of months from initiation to surgery. A time delay is deliberate to allow women to fully address the issues involved with a decision for surgery. Early evidence suggests that this prepares the women emotionally and physically for their surgery.
CitationA protocol for preventative mastectomy in women with an increased lifetime risk of breast cancer. 2000, 26 (7):711-3 Eur J Surg Oncol
JournalEuropean Journal of Surgical Oncology
- The management of women at high risk for the development of breast cancer: risk estimation and preventative strategies.
- Authors: Sakorafas GH
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- Prophylactic bilateral mastectomy for breast cancer prevention.
- Authors: Metcalfe KA
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- Risk reducing mastectomy: outcomes in 10 European centres.
- Authors: Evans DG, Baildam AD, Anderson E, Brain A, Shenton A, Vasen HF, Eccles D, Lucassen A, Pichert G, Hamed H, Moller P, Maehle L, Morrison PJ, Stoppat-Lyonnet D, Gregory H, Smyth E, Niederacher D, Nestle-Krämling C, Campbell J, Hopwood P, Lalloo F, Howell A
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Uptake of risk-reducing surgery in unaffected women at high risk of breast and ovarian cancer is risk, age, and time dependent.
- Authors: Evans DG, Lalloo F, Ashcroft L, Shenton A, Clancy T, Baildam AD, Brain A, Hopwood P, Howell A
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Surgical decisions made by 158 women with hereditary breast cancer aged <50 years.
- Authors: Evans DG, Lalloo F, Hopwood P, Maurice A, Baildam A, Brain A, Barr L, Howell A
- Issue date: 2005 Dec