Magnetic resonance imaging screening in women at genetic risk of breast cancer: imaging and analysis protocol for the UK multicentre study. UK MRI Breast Screening Study Advisory Group.
Evans, D Gareth R
Jones, Andrew P
AffiliationHealth Economics Research Group, Brunel University, Middlesex, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe imaging and analysis protocol of the UK multicentre study of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) as a method of screening for breast cancer in women at genetic risk is described. The study will compare the sensitivity and specificity of contrast-enhanced MRI with two-view x-ray mammography. Approximately 500 women below the age of 50 at high genetic risk of breast cancer will be recruited per year for three years, with annual MRI and x-ray mammography continuing for up to 5 years. A symptomatic cohort will be measured in the first year to ensure consistent reporting between centres. The MRI examination comprises a high-sensitivity three-dimensional contrast-enhanced assessment, followed by a high-specificity contrast-enhanced study in equivocal cases. Multiparametric analysis will encompass morphological assessment, the kinetics of contrast agent uptake and determination of quantitative pharmacokinetic parameters. Retrospective analysis will identify the most specific indicators of malignancy. Sensitivity and specificity, together with diagnostic performance, diagnostic impact and therapeutic impact will be assessed with reference to pathology, follow-up and changes in diagnostic certainty and therapeutic decisions. Mammography, lesion localisation, pathology and cytology will be performed in accordance with the UK NHS Breast Screening Programme quality assurance standards. Similar standards of quality assurance will be applied for MR measurements and evaluation.
CitationMagnetic resonance imaging screening in women at genetic risk of breast cancer: imaging and analysis protocol for the UK multicentre study. UK MRI Breast Screening Study Advisory Group. 2000, 18 (7):765-76 Magn Reson Imaging
JournalMagnetic Resonance Imaging
- Protocol for a national multi-centre study of magnetic resonance imaging screening in women at genetic risk of breast cancer.
- Authors: Brown J, Coulthard A, Dixon AK, Dixon JM, Easton DF, Eeles RA, Evans DG, Gilbert FG, Hayes C, Jenkins JP, Leach MO, Moss SM, Padhani AP, Pointon LJ, Ponder BA, Sloane JP, Turnbull LW, Walker LG, Warren RM, Watson W, UK MRI Breast Screening Study Advisory Group.
- Issue date: 2000 Apr
- Screening with magnetic resonance imaging and mammography of a UK population at high familial risk of breast cancer: a prospective multicentre cohort study (MARIBS).
- Authors: Leach MO, Boggis CR, Dixon AK, Easton DF, Eeles RA, Evans DG, Gilbert FJ, Griebsch I, Hoff RJ, Kessar P, Lakhani SR, Moss SM, Nerurkar A, Padhani AR, Pointon LJ, Thompson D, Warren RM, MARIBS study group.
- Issue date: 2005 May 21-27
- Cost-effectiveness of screening with contrast enhanced magnetic resonance imaging vs X-ray mammography of women at a high familial risk of breast cancer.
- Authors: Griebsch I, Brown J, Boggis C, Dixon A, Dixon M, Easton D, Eeles R, Evans DG, Gilbert FJ, Hawnaur J, Kessar P, Lakhani SR, Moss SM, Nerurkar A, Padhani AR, Pointon LJ, Potterton J, Thompson D, Turnbull LW, Walker LG, Warren R, Leach MO, UK Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Breast Screening (MARIBS) Study Group.
- Issue date: 2006 Oct 9
- Breast magnetic resonance image screening and ductal lavage in women at high genetic risk for breast carcinoma.
- Authors: Hartman AR, Daniel BL, Kurian AW, Mills MA, Nowels KW, Dirbas FM, Kingham KE, Chun NM, Herfkens RJ, Ford JM, Plevritis SK
- Issue date: 2004 Feb 1
- Breast MRI at 3.0 T in a high-risk familial breast cancer screening cohort: comparison with 1.5 T screening studies.
- Authors: Pickles MD, Turnbull LW
- Issue date: 2012 Jul