A phase II study to evaluate the combination of fludarabine, mitoxantrone and dexamethasone (FMD) in patients with follicular lymphoma.
AuthorsCrawley, C R
Foran, J M
Gupta, R K
Rohatiner, A Z
Micallef, I N
Radford, John A
Johnson, Stephen A
Johnson, Peter W
Sweetenham, J W
Lister, T Andrew
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: 'Molecular response' is being investigated as a therapeutic goal in follicular lymphoma (FL). High response rates in FL with the fludarabine combination 'FMD' have been associated with 'molecular remission'. A phase II study of FMD in FL was therefore conducted. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Fifty-four patients, ten of whom were newly diagnosed received FMD. Forty-four percent of the previously treated patients had 'chemoresistant' disease. Treatment comprised: fludarabine 25 mg/m2 days 1-3, mitoxantrone 10 mg/m2 day 1, and dexamethasone 20 mg days 1-5. Blood/bone marrow was collected for quantitation of t(14;18) by 'real-time' PCR. RESULTS: The overall response rate was 37 of 54 (69%), complete responses being seen in 11 patients (20%), with no difference between newly diagnosed and the previously treated patients. However, the response rate in 'chemosensitive' relapse was 84% compared to 44% in patients in whom the last prior regimen had failed. Molecular responses were seen in 17 of 25 and PCR negativity in 8 of 25, although molecular and clinical responses did not always correlate. Toxicity was moderate, 19 patients required admission. However, in 6 of 12 patients, subsequent G-CSF mobilised stem cell harvests failed. CONCLUSIONS: FMD was well tolerated but with a lower than expected response rate. Molecular responses were seen in the majority of responding patients however, 'molecular remission' was rare.
CitationA phase II study to evaluate the combination of fludarabine, mitoxantrone and dexamethasone (FMD) in patients with follicular lymphoma. 2000, 11 (7):861-5 Ann. Oncol.
JournalAnnals of Oncology
- Efficacy of fludarabine/mitoxantrone/dexamethasone alternating with CHOP in bulky follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Wilder DD, Ogden JL, Jain VK
- Issue date: 2002 Mar
- The UK NCRI study of chlorambucil, mitoxantrone and dexamethasone (CMD) versus fludarabine, mitoxantrone and dexamethasone (FMD) for untreated advanced stage follicular lymphoma: molecular response strongly predicts prolonged overall survival.
- Authors: Bishton MJ, Rule S, Wilson W, Turner D, Patmore R, Clifton-Hadley L, McMillan A, Lush R, Haynes A
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Fludarabine, cyclophosphamide and mitoxantrone for untreated follicular lymphoma: a report from the non-Hodgkin's lymphoma co-operative study group.
- Authors: Santini G, Chisesi T, Nati S, Porcellini A, Zoli V, Rizzoli V, Zupo S, Marino G, Rubagotti A, Polacco A, Spriano M, Vimercati R, Congiu AM, Ravetti JL, Aversa S, Candela M, Patti C
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Fludarabine-mitoxantrone-rituximab regimen in untreated intermediate/high-risk follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: experience on 142 patients.
- Authors: Zinzani PL, Pellegrini C, Broccoli A, Casadei B, Argnani L, Pileri S
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Phase I study of the combination of fludarabine, mitoxantrone, and dexamethasone in low-grade lymphoma.
- Authors: McLaughlin P, Hagemeister FB, Swan F Jr, Cabanillas F, Pate O, Romaguera JE, Rodriguez MA, Redman JR, Keating M
- Issue date: 1994 Mar