Palliative care provision and its impact on psychological morbidity in cancer patients.
AffiliationChristie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn response to many influences, palliative care services in the UK are evolving rapidly, and are increasingly challenged to demonstrate equity, access and effectiveness. This article discusses the principles, philosophy and status of palliative care in the UK in the context of recent NHS developments. A case study is employed in order to critically evaluate the implementation of the palliative care approach, focusing on the specific issue of the assessment of anxiety and depression in the cancer setting. The provision of a comprehensive and integrated clinical service is a constant challenge in this patient group. In order to increase awareness and facilitate further development of patient services, and ultimately improve clinical practice, several factors are highlighted. These include the impact of multiprofessional team care, the problems inherent in the diagnosis of depression and the question of whether cancer nurses are adequately prepared to handle patients' psychological morbidity.
CitationPalliative care provision and its impact on psychological morbidity in cancer patients., 6 (10):501-7 Int J Palliat Nurs
JournalInternational Journal of Palliative Nursing
- "Moving swiftly on." Psychological support provided by district nurses to patients with palliative care needs.
- Authors: Griffiths J, Ewing G, Rogers M
- Issue date: 2010 Sep-Oct
- Improving palliative care provision for patients with heart failure.
- Authors: Lewis C, Stephens B
- Issue date: 2005 May 26-Jun 8
- Provision of palliative care and pain management services for oncology patients.
- Authors: Marchetti P, Voltz R, Rubio C, Mayeur D, Kopf A
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Palliative care in the community: the challenge for district nurses.
- Authors: Bliss J
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- A cluster randomized controlled trial of cognitive behaviour therapy for common mental disorders in patients with advanced cancer.
- Authors: Moorey S, Cort E, Kapari M, Monroe B, Hansford P, Mannix K, Henderson M, Fisher L, Hotopf M
- Issue date: 2009 May