Chromosome instability in fibroblasts derived from Li-Fraumeni syndrome families without TP53 mutations.
AffiliationCRC Cancer Genetics Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, CRC Christie Research Centre, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe mean in vitro lifespan of dermal fibroblast strains derived from cancer-affected individuals belonging to families conforming to the classical Li-Fraumeni-syndrome or the Li-Fraumeni-like syndrome (LF strains), but in whom no TP53 mutation has been found, was not significantly different to that of normal strains. This was in contrast to LF strains that carry TP53 mutations. Cytogenetic observations of numerical and structural chromosome abnormalities were made on Giemsa stained metaphases prepared at different times during the lifespan of strains. Five strains from different LF families showed significantly increased frequencies of abnormal cells during the last 10% of their lifetime compared with seven normal strains and three other LF strains fell outside the normal range but did not reach significance. Two LF strains fell within the normal range indicating heterogeneity of the phenotype in this subset of LF fibroblasts. Numerical aberrations were the major aberration type observed. These observations of genetic instability are similar, but generally less strongly expressed, to those seen in LF strains with TP53 mutations. The basis for genetic instability in LF strains without TP53 mutations is not known, but appears not to involve defects in either the G(1)checkpoint or the checkpoint kinase hChk2.
CitationChromosome instability in fibroblasts derived from Li-Fraumeni syndrome families without TP53 mutations. 2000, 83 (9):1136-8 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Chromosome instability is a predominant trait of fibroblasts from Li-Fraumeni families.
- Authors: Boyle JM, Mitchell EL, Greaves MJ, Roberts SA, Tricker K, Burt E, Varley JM, Birch JM, Scott D
- Issue date: 1998 Jun
- The relationship between radiation-induced G(1)arrest and chromosome aberrations in Li-Fraumeni fibroblasts with or without germline TP53 mutations.
- Authors: Boyle JM, Spreadborough A, Greaves MJ, Birch JM, Varley JM, Scott D
- Issue date: 2001 Jul 20
- Delayed chromosome changes in gamma-irradiated normal and Li-Fraumeni fibroblasts.
- Authors: Boyle JM, Spreadborough AR, Greaves MJ, Birch JM, Varley JM, Scott D
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Cancer phenotype correlates with constitutional TP53 genotype in families with the Li-Fraumeni syndrome.
- Authors: Birch JM, Blair V, Kelsey AM, Evans DG, Harris M, Tricker KJ, Varley JM
- Issue date: 1998 Sep 3
- Genetic and functional studies of a germline TP53 splicing mutation in a Li-Fraumeni-like family.
- Authors: Varley JM, Chapman P, McGown G, Thorncroft M, White GR, Greaves MJ, Scott D, Spreadborough A, Tricker KJ, Birch JM, Evans DG, Reddel R, Camplejohn RS, Burn J, Boyle JM
- Issue date: 1998 Jun 25