AuthorsWilson, James W
Nostro, M C
Potten, Christopher S
AffiliationCRC Epithelial Biology Laboratory, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have found that the anti-apoptotic Bcl-2 family protein, Bcl-w, was frequently expressed in colorectal adenocarcinomas, with 69/75 showing positive staining with anti-Bcl-w IgG. Adenomas demonstrated a much lower frequency of Bcl-w expression (only 1 of 17), as did adenocarcinomas from other epithelial tissues such as breast (0/8), stomach (1112) and cervix (0/12). Bcl-w status could be related to the histopathological classification of the tumours, with TNM stage III tumours showing significantly higher levels of expression than tumours of better prognostic grade (at P = 0.009). Those patients with node involvement also had tumours with significantly elevated levels of Bcl-w (at P = 0.02), compared to those which were node-negative. The results suggest that Bcl-w could play a general role in the progression from adenoma to adenocarcinoma in the colorectal epithelium. Currently, more data are being collected to allow us to assess the importance of Bcl-w for disease progression and patient survival.
CitationBcl-w expression in colorectal adenocarcinoma. 2000, 82 (1):178-85 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Expression of SGLT1, Bcl-2 and p53 in primary pancreatic cancer related to survival.
- Authors: Casneuf VF, Fonteyne P, Van Damme N, Demetter P, Pauwels P, de Hemptinne B, De Vos M, Van de Wiele C, Peeters M
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- [Expression and clinical significance of IGF-II mRNA and bcl-2 protein in colorectal adenocarcinomas].
- Authors: Zhang MS, Yuan HY, Xiong B, Deng Q, Tang ZJ, Xia D
- Issue date: 2002 Nov
- Bax protein expression in colorectal cancer: association with p53, bcl-2 and patterns of relapse.
- Authors: Giatromanolaki A, Sivridis E, Stathopoulos GP, Fountzilas G, Kalofonos HP, Tsamandas A, Vrettou E, Scopa C, Polychronidis A, Simopoulos K, Koukourakis MI
- Issue date: 2001 Jan-Feb
- Increased expression of S100A6 (Calcyclin), a calcium-binding protein of the S100 family, in human colorectal adenocarcinomas.
- Authors: Komatsu K, Andoh A, Ishiguro S, Suzuki N, Hunai H, Kobune-Fujiwara Y, Kameyama M, Miyoshi J, Akedo H, Nakamura H
- Issue date: 2000 Jan
- Met/HGF receptor modulates bcl-w expression and inhibits apoptosis in human colorectal cancers.
- Authors: Kitamura S, Kondo S, Shinomura Y, Kanayama S, Miyazaki Y, Kiyohara T, Hiraoka S, Matsuzawa Y
- Issue date: 2000 Sep